Monday, June 30, 2014

Crossing Dubai off the bucket list



I finally made it to Dubai!  The city has been on my bucket list for years and when I accepted the job at KAUST in Saudi Arabia, I promised myself that I would go there and see what all the hype is about. 



Dubai is everything they said it would it be.  It’s super modern with creative skyscrapers and interesting shaped hotels that exude elegance and expense.  In a way it’s like a classy Vegas – but everything looks designer and is much bigger in scale than Vegas.  



But what else would you expect from the city with the tallest building in the world and hotels that cost thousands of dollars a night? There even is a dancing fountain at one of the malls – which makes the one at Bellagio look puny and lame in comparison.


I was there for the Arabnet Digital Conference so I stayed at the Atlantis hotel which was gorgeous.  In Vegas, my favorite hotel is the Wynn and I love the glass sculpture they have  in the lobby.  The Atlantis has similar glass sculpture, but there is even more of it.



And while people always say it’s expensive, dining out wasn’t any more expensive than eating in nice places in North America.  An average entrĂ©e was $8 to $14 and a glass of wine was around the same price.  Of course, if you ate at the steak house or an award winning restaurant, your entrees would run you closer to $20 to $40, but you would pay the same at a posh place in any big city.

My trip was quick, but what I saw of Dubai was amazing.  I’ll need to go back again to see even more. Like Vegas, it was everything from great food and shopping to desert adventures and theme hotels and clubs.





No comments:

Post a Comment