Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stolen iPhone? Five prevention tips I now know

Having your iPhone stolen is not fun. Believe me. I know. Mine was stolen this weekend.

I accidentally left my phone in the car when returning it to the rental shop and in less than five minutes it was gone – and naturally, no one at the rental shop could say which one of their staff checked the car or had access to it.

At first I was in denial. Maybe it wasn't stolen. Maybe the phone was in my purse or my jacket and I just couldn’t find it. I immediately borrowed the manager’s phone to call my beloved iPhone. It went straight to voicemail.

That’s when I knew it was over. The thief was smart enough to turn off the device so I couldn’t hear it.

It was then I panicked. Not only did I lose all the phone numbers I had in the phone, my life was completely accessible. With the iPhone, the thief could not only use it to make lots of overseas calls, but they could send my friends nasty texts, access my Facebook and Twitter account using the APPs I downloaded, and find out other personal information. My life was an open book. And the worst part was that I was about to board a plane so I wouldn’t have time to contact AT&T until I landed eight hours later.

I also couldn’t get in touch with my friends to let them know what had happened because even though people were nice enough to offer me their phone to text or call people, I couldn’t remember anyone’s phone number. I was so reliant on my phone I couldn’t even help myself even when offered a lifeline.

To make sure this doesn’t happen to you, here are a few tips:

1) Download a Phone Tracker App: I didn’t know about this until after I lost my phone, but I really wish I did. GPS Tracker is one APP that a couple people have recommended. Not only will it help you find your phone if someone steals it, it can help you keep track of where your kids are if you install it on their phones. Apple also has an APP just for their phones. It costs $0.99.

2) Get MobileMe from Apple: I didn’t have this because I’m cheap and it costs $99 a year. But the program does have some good perks such as it tracks your phone and if it’s stolen, you can do a virtual data wipe from any other device to protect your privacy. The $99 covers all your Apple devices so your iPhone, iPad and computer could all be covered. It also will let you lock your devices remotely.

3) Password Protect Your Phone: This is the one thing I did have on my phone. But on the iPhone, the password is only four digits so if the thief is persistent, they could eventually crack it. At least, it’s better than nothing. Just make sure your password isn't something like 1-2-3-4.

4) Call Your Carrier: As soon as you can, call your phone carrier and suspend service on the phone. This way the person won’t be able to make texts, use your data plan or make calls. However, please note that this doesn’t mean your service will be canceled. You will still be responsible for monthly bills on that phone until your contract is over. The good news is that you can reactivate the phone if you happen to find it – without having to pay a reactivation fee.

5) Loud Ringtones: Use an annoying loud ringtone that is distinctive. If your thief is not as savvy as mine and doesn’t turn off the phone, there is a chance you will hear the ring if you call it.

I also learned that your carrier's and the iPhone protection coverage doesn't cover stolen phones. It only covers broken phones.  However, you can buy iPhone insurance though from AT&T called MyMobileProtect.com.

What I really would like is a self-destruct app like they had in old spy shows such as "Get Smart".  This way the next time someone steals my stuff, I could activate a countdown and in 10 seconds the phone would unleash a virus that would corrupt it's circuits and make it useless. I'm not talking a mini-bomb that would hurt the person. I'm not that vengeful.  Just something that corrupts the phone.

But that doesn't exist yet. 

In the meantime, I'm still phone-less and in mourning. Every once and a while I swear I can hear my iPhone calling me with it's friendly little ring. Will I get another one? Definitely.  I'm just not ready to dish out another $399 yet.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! That totally stinks!! I like your suggestions and you have me thinking... Thanks for your wonderful advice and good luck getting a replacement. I know the 4s are still pretty pricey, but the older models are very cheap. It's something to tide you over until your contract is up or until the price drops on the 4.

    ReplyDelete