Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Keeping it real with Alejandro Reyes

News10 Blog U (I'm taking photos at the left)
Last year I did a psychic reading with Jesai Chantler over the phone. I’m not going to share the whole thing with you, but he did say he saw me attending the Oscars or the Emmy Awards or a similar red carpet event.

At the time, I thought he was way off base as none of my scripts were being turned into movies and I wasn’t dating any celebrities – so what were the chances?

It turned out that he was right. I did end up attending the Official Oscar Watch Gala for News10 in February and just a couple weeks ago I was nominated for an Emmy so will be going to the Emmy Awards in June. Amazing.

THE PATH OF LIFE

The other thing Jesai told me was that I was right where I was supposed to be and I was still on my true path. This surprised me as I had thought moving to Sacramento threw me off my path. Not that I don’t love it here. It’s pretty, relaxing and is surrounded by vineyards (and you know I love wine). It’s just that it’s not exactly Paris, London, New York or any other mega-city.

But just like he was right about me going to a red-carpeted event, he was right about being in Sacramento as I’m meeting remarkable people every day – or, as was the case last night, a whole group of remarkable people.

Last night I drove to Stockton to co-host our News10 Blog U event. It was small event of about 20 people but all were aspiring bloggers who were full of passion, energy and great ideas. There was Manuel who was thinking of doing a DUI electrician blog, Anthony who plans of unveiling his street fashion blog soon, Kyle who writes the http://www.TheGirlKyle.com, Kamica who owns Baby Cakes & Co… and so on. Each person had a unique story – and you know I love hearing about stories and dreams.

But the person who pulled it all together was Alejandro Reyes.

IS THERE A MAGNET FOR THAT?

I met Alejandro Reyes my first day in Sacramento. Really. I got here and the News Director told me to go check out this TweetUp that was happening that night -- and among the hundred or so people that were there, I met Alejandro.

Apparently, Alejandro wasn’t just attending the TweetUp; it was his event. I learned months later that he was voted as one of 15 people to watch in Sacramento by Sacramento Magazine and was one of the city’s most respected social media gurus. See? I was in the right place at the right time.

And last night Alejandro brought that whole “being in the right place” message home.

While talking to attendees last night, he said, “Discover your gifts and build your life around them.”

Brilliant. So simple, but so right.

Instead of worrying about being in the wrong place, maybe I need to focus on the end goal. I don’t need to live in Paris or London to use my gifts. I can start using them here and see where my path takes me. Maybe meeting these remarkable people is why I’m here, as each week I find someone who keeps me inspired and moving toward completing my goals.

Discover your gifts and build your life around them…hmmm… I think I’m going to tell him he needs to make a magnet that says that.

Follow Michelle Ponto on Facebook

3 comments:

  1. I love this post!! And, congratulations on the Emmy - it is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm humbled. Seriously. I really respect you Michelle so it means a lot coming from you.

    Such a great post. I've had to realize this as well over the last few months. Just letting life take its course, live in the moment while having the end goal in mind, and trusting that I'm on the right path.

    Congrats on the Emmy nomination and have fun. If you need someone to go with you... well... I know someone ;)

    ar

    ReplyDelete