Monday, May 11, 2015

Saying Farewell to Saudi Arabia

At KAUST wearing my favorite yellow abaya


When I moved to Saudi Arabia in 2014 to work at KAUST, I had no idea what to expect…and I had no idea I would like it so much. I met such wonderful people and learned so much about the culture, their humor, their creativity and their challenges.




Group selfie with my amazing co-workers

 I also learned about the real meaning of generosity as they don’t think twice when it comes to ensuring you are comfortable in their country – and instantly they embrace you as part of their family.



When I first moved to Saudi, I remember thinking that my heart was “thrifty” compared to theirs. They would offer to drive me places, would randomly pick up things for me like converters, organic peanut butter and other essentials just because I had mentioned it…and not because I asked. Never did they want anything back in return and were insulted when I tried to give them money. They said it was like I was trying to pay for their kindness and that wasn’t the way it worked.

Farewell dinner - miss you all!!

A year later, when I had a guest from the US come visit the university to speak, I was reminded again at how generous they were. As a woman, naturally I couldn’t drive my guest anywhere, but when I mentioned it to my co-workers, I had not only one volunteer, but four who couldn’t wait to show my guest around.



 They drove him to the mall, helped him pick out stuff for his wife and suggested the best dates in the world to bring back to his friends. And then, when my guest said he wanted a thobe (the traditional dress for men), they took him to a local place to get fitted for one and spent hours helping him dress, pick out the head gear and negotiating a reasonable price.

Man...I love these dates.  Best in the world.
If we had more time, they would have taken him back the next night to show him some of the landmark areas of Jeddah. It was fun to watch my friend learn what the people were like and see through his eyes the amazement at how authentically generous their culture is. Like me, he came in with a shield of mistrust and was surprised at how easy going they were, how funny and how they were willing to take him around without any hesitation.

Just a few of my Saudi family members

Now, as I’m leaving Saudi, I have to say goodbye to these wonderful people who treated me so well when I was so far from home. But I won’t be leaving with my thrifty heart. That one was replaced months ago with a Saudi heart. Well, maybe not quite that big yet as it takes a lifetime to learn to be as generous as they are. But it’s much more open and willing to trust the good in people than it was before.

Taken my first week in Saudi and will always remind me of Samia, who took me under her wing.

Thank you, my Saudi friends for making me a part of your family.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved your post and enjoyed reading your heartfelt experiences. This authentic recount (which you seem to inherently perfect) of first hand interactions is very useful in the face of, at times, biased, fabricated media spin that implies we as peoples perhaps have different values and approach life and living differently. The mainstream do not and what brings us together as people is much ... much more than what pulls us apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.
    Elia & Ponto

    ReplyDelete