Monday, August 26, 2013

Burning Man Part 3: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Playa


Two days until I leave for my first Burning Man experience and I’m running trying to get all the last minute stuff down.  I’m now the proud owner of gold and purple shiny disco shorts, an orange tutu, a lavender wig, bunny ears (borrowed from work), orange leg warmers, two different pairs of Steampunk style goggles, a weird fake fur coat and an assortment of shiny, pokey bras and halter tops that rival Madonna’s closet.

I also own killer biker boots and when I say killer, I mean they kill my feet.  Ouch.

Yes, I am colorful and shiny -- and if I had more time and more money, I may even be more bright and shiny. But I’m not exactly a Sparkle Pony. I might just be the Sparkle Pegasus, especially as I’m still worried about the camping part and hoping I can handle the dust, sleeping in the dirt and living outside for 4 days.

But let’s not worry about that now, because I have good news!  I have a ride from the Reno airport to the Playa!!!  I’m very excited about this, but don’t tell my mom because basically I’m doing modern day hitchhiking. 

I posted my desperate request for a ride on the Burning Man message board and a random stranger agreed to pick me up and drive me the 4 hours to the Playa. Very cool – as long as you don’t think about all those warnings you heard as a kid about accepting rides from strangers.

Her name is Tania – and she drives a Mini Cooper.  So she must be safe, right? Because how many mass murderers drive a mini?  It’s a super cool car owned by super cool people. Besides, where would they put the chain saw?  

No comments:

Post a Comment