Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Father and son roping team live the rodeo dream

The best part of my job is meeting people, and I must say, Allen Bach was one of the most interesting men I have met in my career. 

Allen Bach is a four time PRCA World Champion, 27 consecutive time qualifier to the National Finals Rodeo, and a three time all time high money winner of the George Strait Team Roping Classic.

Bach's been blessed with his success and the chance to rope all his life. But now he says he's living the dream by team roping with his 19-year-old son, Joel.
"I haven't won the most saddles and buckles in history, but I have all the championships that I need to have. My dream now would be to win the National Finals with my son. That would be a story book ending for me," said Bach.

Bach has been married for 30 years and competing in the rodeo during that entire time. As his four kids were growing up, they did everything as a family. However, now that his son is not just watching from the stands, but competing with him, the relationship is different.
"We team rope together so Joel's become more like a business partner. It would be anybody's dream to compete at the high level that we do in the rodeo," said Bach.

While the father/son team is a dream come true, Bach admits that they have had to make little adjustments to make it work.

"I have to be a dad first, then a partner, coach and best friend. But of course, my son would like me to be a partner first, then a coach, friend and finally a dad," said Allen Bach. "He thinks he's already grown up, but he's only 19, and there's still a lot to learn about the world."

But neither Allen or Joel would trade up what they have for anything else. The rodeo is part of their lives and it's almost as if Joel is taking over the family business.

"This is my second year competing with my dad, but I've been riding and roping since I was seven," said Joel. "I'd really like to make the finals and become one of the contenders for the World Rodeo. If we make it, I'll be one of the youngest headers."

Bach admits that his ties to the rodeo, and the people his son has met, made huge impact on Joel as he grew up. He understands the pressure, the lingo and the lifestyle.

"The people Joel's competing against are the same people he grew up with. They are friends and I think this works to his advantage as he's not star struck," said Bach.

Bach says he hopes to help give his son a boost to his rodeo career, but he says there's a lot more to it than just riding and roping. There's also the sponsorship and business side of the rodeo.

"I'm hoping because of my name and reputation that it will help with the advertising and sponsorship. He can follow in my footsteps," said Bach.

Even though Bach takes the rodeo business seriously, he works hard to balance it with his personal life.
In addition to being a rodeo champion, he is also an ordained minister and the founder of the ministry Forever Cowboys.

"It's just a group of guys and we try to bless the kids where we can with rodeo bible camps and other events. Our goal is to maximize the cowboy's influence in the world," said Bach.

According to Bach, the cowboy has always stood for integrity and doing what's right. He's a generic role model that can help make the world a better place.

"When you're a cowboy, your word is your honor. We're trying to follow those values and remind the next generation that these values are important. You can only win so many buckles and saddles. It's time to do something about changing the world," said Bach.

Currently living on 50 acre ranch in Weatherford, Texas, Allen and Joel are on the road for over half of the year. Bach says the secret to his success has to do with priorities.

"My wife is so strong. She's an incredible woman. Together we learned how to make a functional thing that could easily be dysfunctional. We learned to balance God, family and the rodeo," said Bach.

"I always tell people that rodeo makes a lousy God. It's just a spoke in the wagon wheel of life and you have to put God in the middle or else it won't work," said Bach. "I admit that sometimes in my life the rodeo ends up in the middle, but then I have to work to put God back there."

In the meantime, Allen and Joel are enjoying their time together as a team.

"It's really fun traveling with your dad, especially when you win," said Joel.

Bach also has a 15-year-old son that ropes. He's sometimes out competing with his mom while Bach is on the road with Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment