Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It’s time to panic. Only eight days until race day


Me on my bike.
 In college, were you one of those people who used to cram before exams? I was.

I wasn't a bad student. I would actually attend every class and take notes, but here's a secret you shouldn't tell my professors...I really didn’t do any work until it came time for exams. I know...that's bad.

Instead, the day before the test I would boil a pot of Earl Gray tea, pop a big bowl of popcorn and stay up all night cramming as much information into my head as possible. Surprisingly, I always got good grades and was an honor student so I never really worried. Yes, my friends used to hate me for this, but whatever.

So why am I in panic-mode today? Well, apparently my bad study skills have morphed into my curent life because today I realized that I’m doing the exact same thing with my triathlon training. Aaah!!
 
Don’t get me wrong. Just like I used to go to class every day in school, I do workout – but I’m only doing the stuff I did before I decided to Eppies Great Race as an iron person. I do my three days of weights and then run or bike on the other three days. I’ve also done a couple of kayaking classes to make sure I can make it through the rapids.

Yeah, on paper this sounds like a lot, but it’s not really because basically I’m only working out 30 to 60 minutes a day – which is what I normally do. Okay, I have done a couple of long 50 mile bike rides, but that was more fun than working out so it doesn’t count.

In reality I should be doing more if I want to actually survive the triathlon, especially after I talked to a couple other people training for the race. Do you think they are only working out 30 minutes a day?  Nope, nope, nope..they are working out like real athletes. They are running 6 miles every other day, cycling like crazy and using professional triathlon coaches to get them results.

Yeah… I’m feeling like maybe I’ve been taking this challenge a little too lightly, but it’s too late to get into the groove now. The race is only eight days away. I know - IT'S PANIC TIME.

So now I’m cramming. I’m running 6 miles every second day this week and on the weekend I’m going to try to do the run, followed by a 12 mile bike ride. I only hope my body will respond as easily as my mind did during college.

Wish me luck!

PS. I did complete the Eppies Great Race on July 17 in 1 hour and 31 minutes -- coming in 16th for my ironwoman division. Yay!!!

1 comment: