Monday, May 26, 2014

Cycling up the Tramuntana Mountains



Day 2 of my Mallorca bike tour was all about options. 



Those who were crazy and wanted a challenge got up an hour earlier than the rest of the group to cycle 21 miles uphill- and when I say uphill, I’m talking about the Tramuntana Mountains with an elevation gain of 1,244 meters.



Naturally I was one of the crazies.  And while my legs weren’t happy and I had to ride in the Granny gear most of the way, I made it to the top triumphant.  I was also wheezing because instead of bringing my pollen allergy tablets, I brought sea sickness pills.  I really need to learn Arabic one day so I can figure these things out in advance.



From there we met up with the late risers who opted to skip the grueling climb and rode along the coast to Alcudia.  After speedy along rocky cliffs overlooking the sea, we cruised into Formentor to have lunch on the beach.




Anyway, if you’ve been reading my blog, you’ve probably figured out that I’m a combination of an adrenaline junkie and city-slicker.  So I like my vacations to challenge me physically, but at the end of the day when I drag my tired body to the hotel, I want to be treated like a pampered princess with the best food and most comfortable of accommodations. Duvine has got this down to an art form.   They had my legs and butt sore each day, but in the evening it was all about relaxation and gourmet food in amazing places.

Total milage for this day: 44 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment