Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cycling through Mallorca



Aahhh…the island of Mallorca.  Rugged coastal roads, quant villages and hills that will make your legs ache…what more could a cyclist want on vacation?

My cycling trip around Mallorca was one of the most incredible trips I’ve gone on in a while.  Being pressed for time, I opted to go with Duvine cycling adventures for this holiday and didn’t regret a second.  After planning and mapping out my own adventures for so long, I had forgotten how nice it can be to have someone take care of all those details for me – from the bike, to the hotels, to the amazing route.  They even knew where to find clean restrooms along the way (no more peeing with sheep like I did when cycling in Ireland).

The trip began with a champagne toast  and bike inspection in Alaro, and from there we pedaled our way to bigger and better surprises.  Day 1 consisted of a light ride through a couple of villages, backroads, numerous vineyards and some minor hills to get our legs accustomed to riding just in time for lunch in the town square of Campanet.



Lunch was an array of sandwiches and salad, which I admit sounds lame in print, but you have to remember this is the magical land of Mallorca where everything reeks of artisan yumminess.  And these sandwiches were our first taste of the deliciousness that was to come at every meal along the trip. 



With our bellies full and happy, we continued our cycling journey for another 10 or so kilometers through tiny roads that passed sheep and farms.  Then we arrived at our first hotel: the breathtaking San Brull. Our total milage for the day was 21 miles.



Really….it’s hard to say what was more breathtaking: the amazing ride through the country or the posh hotel Duvine had booked for us that night.  



Surrounded by a vineyard, it was a converted olive plant that was quite impressive – and made me realize that the money I paid for this tour was going to be worth every penny.  



So far,  every mile we cycled blew me away with it’s beauty and then the climax of the day was this amazing hotel.   I would have never been able to plan something this wonderful on my own. 



My room was a two story loft with a Jacuzzi tub – and I have to mention the chilled champagne and fruit waiting for me when I checked in.  Oh yeah…I was in heaven.  

And this was only the first day of the 5 night/6 day adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment