Monday, January 21, 2013

To do list: Complete a half marathon

It’s 2013 and time to start crossing more things off my bucket list.  First on the list: run a half marathon.

Considering all the fitness things I do, it’s hard to believe that I’ve never run a half marathon (or a full marathon). I’ve done 5 km races, 15 km runs, mud runs, color runs and chocolate runs.  I’ve even done a Ragnar Relay (doing another one this February – yay!). But an actual half marathon? Nope.  I had not done one….until now.


TRAINING – UM…NOT REALLY
I signed up for the Phoenix Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon on December 15 thinking I would have tons of time to work up to running the 13.1 miles. Ha!! There were the Christmas holidays, then I got sick and then it got cold in Phoenix. 

Needless to say I never made it up to the full 13.1 miles in practice.  I did do one 12 mile run two weeks before the race and figured I could probably fake my way through the rest.  Little did I know those last 1.1 miles would be killer.


RACE DAY
Let me tell you something about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon. It’s fricken big.


A couple of weeks before the race, I started getting these emails from the organizers asking if I wanted to pay extra for the “warm zone” or “closer parking.” It was then I started to worry.  Just how big was this thing?  Naturally, I’m a sucker for sleep and warm potties so I signed up and paid extra for everything.  


Turns out there were approximately 40,000 runners in the various events.   I didn’t expect to come in first, but my personal goal (that I pulled out of the air and has no scientific backing or research) was to come in the top 100 in my class of women between 40 and 44 – and to complete the 13.1 miles in less than 2 hours. However, when I made up these imaginary goals, I had no idea there would be 2,000 women just in that class running the half marathon with me.   


Proof that I ran, but haven't bought the photos yet.
Now I’m going to tell you something that you should not do before running a big race. Never, ever attend a wine and cheese party the night before. It's a bad idea.
Yup…instead of sleeping early and carbing up the night before like real runners, I attended this fabulous wine party.  I’m not saying I would have done better in the race if I didn’t attend, but I probably won’t do that again the night before a long run.  I did cut myself off at two glasses, but still...

So how did I do? I made it…barely. I completed my 13.1 miles in 1:54:54 (just under 2 hours) and came in 97th in my class.   
Completing a half marathon is officially done. So what other things should I cross off the list this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment