Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Last minute art submission

In addition to being a writer, I’m also an artist.  Although, I’m a bit like Justin Timberlake in that I only focus on one domain at a time.

Justin either acts – or creates music. I either write or create art – but never at the same time; or never really well at the same time.  Don’t ask me why. It’s just the way it works out.  Maybe one day my brain will multi-task my talents so I can be amazing at everything at once, but whatever.

Anyway, I have this art sitting around my apartment that only my friends have seen. I’ve never bothered putting it in a show just in case I sucked, and really, the last thing I want to hear is that I have no talent. It would be like Grade 6 all over again.

So when a friend mentioned this exotic art show coming up at the Alwun House in Phoenix, I figured it was about time I faced my art-rejection fear and submitted something.  Besides the show promised to be "the nation’s longest running exhibit of erotic and exotic art."  It could be cool...or at least the artists submitting would be interesting.

I'm making it sound like I had been planning this for weeks, but actually it was a little more spontaneous than that.

On Sunday, I checked website just to see when the show started. At this time, I hadn't thought about submitting -- only attending. Then I noticed the art submission link. 

On a whim, I called up the organizers and asked them if there was still time to submit.  They said yes, but I needed to have it to them by 6 p.m. that day.  (aahhh!!) They would tell me on the spot whether they would accept or reject my piece for the show. (double-aahhh!!!)

I looked at the clock. It was already 3:30 p.m.  

Thankfully the piece I had was already framed. I immediately wrapped it bubble wrap, drove down to the gallery and handed it in. There really wasn’t any time to worry about if they would think the piece sucked or else I would have backed out…again.

They did accept it. The gala opening is Feb 8 with the show running Feb 12 to March 8.

If only getting my next book published was that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment