Thursday, October 2, 2014

Zen Time in Koh Samui and Recipes!


Private Beach at Koh Samui

Yes, it does seem like I’m always running around doing something adventurous, but there are moments of zen in my life. One of these moments was at Koh Samui.

The mediation mats

Koh Samui is an island about a hour away by plane from Bangkok. It doesn’t have much in terms of adventure, but it does offer a lot if you want to relax and enjoy the beach. 

Look at how great my Bua Loy turned out!

I was lucky enough to get two nights free at the Four Seasons Koh Samui Resort on their Summer Vacation deal. After all the traveling I had done and the move to Saudi Arabia just a few months earlier, I was ready to take advantage of all the zen they had to offer.

Learning how to make kluay thod




While there I did a morning mediation session out by the beach, read a book by the beach and did a Thai cooking class where I learned how to make Kluay Thod. Kluay Thod are little bananas that are covered in coconut and sesame seed batter. Then are deep fried.  

I also learned how to make Bua Loy.  These are little rice flour dumplings in a sweet coconut milk sauce. They were pretty yummy, but filling for such tiny little balls. Recipes for these are below.

The infinity pool off the room (photo courtesy Four Seasons).
It was a relaxing time and I admit the private infinity pool that came with my room was incredible.  I did try to sit in it but I came during the rainy season (thus the free night deal) so could only stare at it from my window.  But even looking at it was nice.


Yummy appetizers all wrapped up

Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the flowers – or eat things that come in little packages like the appetizers in the photo above. I'm not actually sure what these were, but I liked them. Chicken maybe?



RECIPES COURTESY OF FOUR SEASONS KOH KAMUI, THAILAND:

THAI DUMPLING IN COCONUT MILK "BUA LOY"

Dumpling:
300 g Sticky rice flour
100 g Pumpkin puree
300 g Sticky rice flour
100 g Pandan water
300 g Sticky rice flour
100 g Water

Coconut soup:
500 g Coconut milk
100-150 g white sugar
1 g gram

Place the sticky rice flour in three bowls and then add the pumpkin puree to one bowl, the pandan water to the second bowl and plain water to the third.  Mix and knead to a soft dough.  Roll into little balls and set aside.

Dissolve the sugar and salt in the coconut milk over low heat, stirring constantly.  Bring to a boil and add the balls.  When they are cooked through, remove from heat and serve.


THAI BANANA FRITTERS "KLUAY THOD"

250 g Rice flour
10 g Sugar
50 g Palm sugar
6 g Salt
250g Coconut flakes
150 g Black and white sesame seeds
200 g Cold water
20 pieces of Whole Thai bananas (little bananas)

In a bowl, mix together rice flour, sugar, palm sugar, coconut flakes, cold water and the sesame seeds until smooth.

Heat up oil in a sauce pan.

Cut the banana into bite sized chunks and place into batter. Cover them well. Then deep fry until brown on both sides.  Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment