Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Visiting a Local Market in Thailand



While in North Thailand, I had the chance to visit a local market. Forget Whole Foods. This place had so many colorful fruits and vegetables. I had no idea Thailand grew all these things – and they all looked so tasty. Except for the bugs. They did not look tasty, but my guide said they are good.



As we walked through, he explained how they cooked them. For example, my guide says crickets can be deep fried, but he liked them stir fried in oil with garlic. I admit, they did sound kind of good. Still…the crunch? I don’t know. The bugs there were fresh, which is how they like to buy them, so I didn’t get to try any, but maybe next time.


I also saw these fighting bugs. At first I thought they were toys as they were so big and shiny. Then it moved. Okay…creepy. They rope these insects on pieces of bamboo and then sell them for entertainment. 

 

The fish were still breathing on the platters, and my guide says things are caught that day and brought in right away. Things that are still breathing mean it’s fresh. If it’s not breathing, then it’s old.



No comments:

Post a Comment