Sunday, September 2, 2012

Red Rocks and Drumming in Sedona (Vortex Tours)


Rahelio - I had to steal this from his
website as my camera didn't work.
If you visit Phoenix, then you have to take a daytrip to Sedona.  It’s gorgeous – and very red. 

The rocks are red, the dirt is red and even the buildings are red. People told me about the redness before I went, but you need to see them to believe it -- especially at sunrise or sunset. It's breathtaking.

But what Sedona is really famous for is their spiritual vortexes which are supposed to enlighten, renew and empower you. 

When I found out about the Sedona vortexes, I did a little bit of research (because you know I had to check them out as they sounded very "Dr. Who-ish") and there are number of tour groups that will take you there.  One of the most popular ones are these pink jeeps.  But here's my question:  why take a pink jeep when you can have a shamanic guide, who also does Sedona sweat lodge sessions, take you to the vortex location?
Yup, that’s right.  You know me. I can’t do the normal tour.  I have to do the weird one….and I would do it again in a heartbeat.


HE HAD ME AT “HELLO”
I found Rahelio and his  mystic tour by random chance on the internet.  He doesn’t have a fancy website (http://rahelio.homestead.com), but on the site he said his Sedona Vortex tours were for those “who might be awakening in consciousness or who are on a spiritual quest.”  On the tour, he said people may experience a powerfully transformative encounter with the mystical presence of a sacred land.

Am I on a spiritual quest? I don’t know. Maybe?

So I called him up, and instead of answering with a fancy company name, he answered with a simple “hello.”
I was sold.

DRUMMING AND FLIP FLOPS
When I called up Rahelio, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  He told me to meet him outside this organic grocery story around 3:30 p.m. because he was doing a sweat lodge session in Sedona the night before and needed to sleep in. 

I hung up thinking this guy is really sounding like my type of tour guide -- not fancy and likes to sleep in. Works for me.  Plus, I figured this way I could take my time getting there.  In my mind I imagined us and our little group hiking through red rock country for two hours in search of the sacred vortexes.  I would get this fantastic workout AND be spiritually enlightened. The ultimate in multi-tasking -- and you know how I love to multi-task.

Rahelio drove up exactly at 3:30 and he was in shorts and flip flops.  It was then I realized, we would not be hiking very far.  But what would we be doing? The answer: drumming. Yes, drumming – and it was more cool than I could have imagined, and something I had never done before. 
GETTING INTIMATE WITH THE SPIRITUAL VORTEXES
Rahelio drove our little group of 5 up the mountain to one of the vortex areas.  He grabbed mats from the back of his truck, his drum and ceremonial flute and then led us to this gorgeous area overlooking the red rocks.  I have no pictures of this as my iphone crapped out on me that day, so you’ll have to take my word that it was amazing.

He laid out the mats in a row and told us to sit or lie down on them. He then let us experience the energy of the vortex as he drummed, chanted and sung about Mother Earth, Mayan prophecy and the shamanic teachings he’s learned over the years. 

It was a relaxing and inspiring journey that I never expected. Laying on earth, the experience with the vortexes was much more intimate that it would have been on a jeep tour. I'm not sure how enlightened I was, but I’m glad it turned out the way it did and that I met Rahelio.

I could go hiking any time, but how often would I get to hang with a shamanic guide and listen to drumming as the sun set over the Sedona mountains?

I’m already thinking that next time, I may try his sweat lodge encounter the next time I go to Sedona.

1 comment:

  1. Even if the Sedona vortexes didn't exist, this city would still be a very attractive vacation destination. Located about a two-hour drive north of Phoenix and approximately two-and-one-half hours south of the Grand Canyon, Sedona enjoys a pleasant climate, numerous attractions and some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet.

    ilchi lee best selling author

    ReplyDelete