Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Scary Descent Down to the Valley





After two days in the first hotel, it was time to move on another part of the island.  Our suitcases got to take the van there, but we took our bikes and pedaled up and down hills. 



But of course, we didn’t get to check out our new sleeping accommodations until after we had put our legs to the test.  Still in the Tramuntana Mountains, we cycled up more killer hills and coasted through tunnels, climbing 1,615 meters in total.



The views were breathtaking but when you are basically counting down the seconds until you reach the top of a long ascent, I admit, I didn’t stop and smell the flowers in fear that once I got off the bike, I would never get back on. 




And there’s the descent, which I’m more freaked out about than the ascent.  I can climb and climb and climb, but going down 14 kilometers at 35 plus miles per hour is scary for me.  The whole way I could hear my mom’s voice in head telling me I’m going to die.



Lunch was at a place called La Vila and then it was time to head to Deia to check out our new hotel called La Residencia.  This place, believe it or not, was even more fantastic than San Brull.   




 The room was huge with two patios, but the grounds were out of this world with views overlooking the village below.


And if you didn't feel like venturing into the village, well…they had a great pool.


Sadly, I was already into day 3 of my cycling vacation and wishing it would never end.

Today's ride? 40 miles.



No comments:

Post a Comment