Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where were you when you heard about Michael Jackson?

Where were you when your heard the Michael Jackson news? I remember exactly where I was. I was in the news room, writing the 5 p.m. stories for the Web when Lucy Nolan came running over and whispered, "Did you hear Michael Jackson was just rushed to the hospital?"

Instant shock. It couldn't be.

A quick look through the news wires and -- nothing. The only place reporting that Jackson was in hospital was TMZ.

But could we really believe them? I mean, I love TMZ, but they are not exactly CNN.

Panic set in. We called up our Los Angeles affiliates. What had they heard? Was it true? Turns out it wasn't a hoax, so we started writing up the story for KHOU.com.

But just as we finished gathering as many facts as we could, the story changed.

Michael, the King of Pop, was now dead.

PAYING TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL JACKSON

Since then Michael Jackson has taken over the news and so has his dance moves. In fact, I'm kind of wishing I would have mastered the moonwalk. Yes, I'm embarrassed to admit that I did take lessons as a kid, and while I was able to do the "Worm", I never could smoothly do the moonwalk.

Then, there's the classic Thriller dance. People are doing it everywhere. In fact, I saw a couple people doing it over the weekend at Wild West. And in the Philippines, a bunch of inmates even did it (check out embedded YouTube video).


So now that you are all dancing in front of your computer, in honor of Michael, let's sing:

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night

And no one's gonna save you from the beast about strike

You know it's thriller, thriller night

You're fighting for your life inside a killer, thriller tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment