Friday, June 26, 2009

And Another Thing...

I know I usually write about stuff around town, but this time I'm going to write about stuff I do at home when I'm mellowing out -- mainly reading.

So here's the thing...I love Douglas Adams' (the guy who wrote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and I love the whole Artemis Fowl series by Irish author Eoin Colfer. But I'm just not sure I like the idea of Colfer writing as Douglas Adams.

Yes, I know there are other writers out there writing Bond books as the new Ian Fleming, but it just seems strange that someone can just come in and pick up where you left off after you're dead.

Imagine if someone decided that they were just going to continue writing the Harry Potter as the series is reportedly over. Do you think J.K. Rowling would allow that?

Of course, in this case there won't be any lawsuits because Colfer has the permission of Adams' widow to write the next part of the Hitchhiker's series -- and I must admit he's really, really funny in the Artemis Fowl books (which I wish he would write more of, because Artemis is my favorite anti-hero).

The new Hitchhiker's book, by the way, is called "And Another Thing." And for those that are fans, in the last book Arthur Dent, our towel-toting hero, had he made his way home to (one rather pleasant version of) planet Earth. He then discovered that it was about to be blown up...again.

So did he die? Well, apparently not because Colfer promises to propel Dent and the other character through another intergalactic screwball adventure.

The book will be out late October, so let me know what you think.

Will I be reading it? Most-likely, yes -- just because I want to see if Colfer can pull it off, but he does have high expectations to fill.

But maybe it will be even better than original. Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment