Saturday, August 30, 2008

Friday night football, but no Frito Pie

I've been told that you haven't truly lived until you've watched a Texas high school football game. Well, apparently, I HAVEN'T lived, because not only have I never seen a Texas game, but I've never been to any American high school football games.

No, I haven't spent my life living in a cave. I just happened to have spent my high school years in Canada. So while we do play football, it's Saturday Night Hockey that we're passionate about (yeah...just like in that Mike Myer's movie "The Love Guru").

Anyway, this Friday I decide to crawl out of my cave and attend the season opener: North Shore versus Katy.

The first thing I noticed was that a lot of people go to these games. Don't laugh if I sound surprised, but I really was. I don't know what I was expecting, but after waiting in the parking line for 30 minutes, it suddenly hit me that this isn't a small event.

First of all, I had no idea that Katy and North Shore were the two biggest powerhouses in the Houston area. And secondly, I had no idea that the Katy Tigers held the state title. This game was a big deal.

Being Football Friday newbie, I also had no idea that it's not just the football players competing. It's the whole school. In fact, it's the battle of the bands, the battle of the cheerleaders and the battle of the pep squad (we don't have pep squads in Canada). Oh...and you can't forget the fans. I've never seen so many red T-shirts in one place.
Then there are my favorite fans. The die-hards. You know who they are. These are the dudes that aren't on the team, but go all out and paint their bodies the school colors. I love these guys. They don't care if their bathtub is going to have a red ring around it the next day. They don't care if they can't get the paint off - ever. They are in it for the team. Gotta love them!

About 30 minutes into the game, it occurred to me that Friday Night football is like the Super Bowl without the Rolling Stones or Usher playing at halftime. I was pumped.

But when I got back to office, it turns out I screwed up.

"Did you have Frito Pie?" my co-worker asked me. "Don't tell me you didn't try Frito pie."

Sadly, I don't know what Frito Pie is. I was so taken away with the game, I totally forgot the second-best part of football: the junky food.

Now, I've got to go to another game - just for the food. And you never know...if one of the die-hards call and want to paint me up for their team, I may give it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment