Thursday, September 4, 2008

Yay!! Starbucks has new treats

We all have our weaknesses. One of mine happens to be Starbucks, which is weird because I don't drink coffee (I'm a hot tea drinker). Yet, I can't pass by one without the temptation of going inside. Must be something subliminal in the mood lighting that suckers me in.

So because I am frequent customer, I was thrilled to see Starbucks has introduced some new treats - Yay!!

Some of you are saying "who cares?", but for true Starbucks addicts like me, this is a big deal. You see, us regulars look forward to the seasonal additions to the menu like pumpkin lattes in the fall, peppermint hot chocolate in the winter, and the other goodies they only bring around for limited time.

WHAT'S NEW AT STARBUCK'S

Last Tuesday, Starbuck's introduced some healthy food. Now, before you start making your broccoli face, let me tell you these healthy treats have the Starbucks touch to them, AND I've taken it upon myself to try three of seven new additions:

1) Perfect Oatmeal: Okay, I admit I wasn't going to try this one as I figured I could make oatmeal at home. But then again I could make tea at home and yet I get in my car and drive to Starbucks just to have the barista pour boiling water into a cup. Anyway, my barista told me that people ARE actually ordering the oatmeal AND he told me it was good. So...of course, I had to try it.

He was right. It was the BEST oatmeal ever!! No really, I wouldn't lie to you. I have no idea what they put into it, but it was sooooo good. It's basically 100% whole grain oats and then you get the choice of dried fruit, nut medley or brown sugar. The barista said most people pick brown sugar, but I picked the nuts. Mmmm...mmmm....super good. This is my new favorite.

2) Berry Stella: This has been around all summer. I guess they were testing the healthy stuff. Anyway, it's an oat-based pastry that has been shaped into a star, and it has berries in the middle. It's okay, but not as satisfying as some of their other items like the blueberry scones or very berry muffins.

3) Chewy Fruit & Nut Bar: This bar contains real fruit, nuts and clover honey. It's really yummy and does fill you up. But here's the catch. The little grains get stuck in your teeth, so make sure you pop by a mirror before smiling. It's also a little high in fat (10 grams compared to the oatmeal's 2.5 grams).

STUFF I DIDN'T TRY

There are four other items that I didn't try - mostly because I haven't had time yet. They include:

1) Multigrain Roll: This sounds boring, but the barista swears it's excellent. It's made with seven hearty grains and seeds. It also comes with your choice of almond butter or fruit preserves. The guy seemed more excited about the almond butter, than the jam.

2) Apple Bran Muffin: I haven't seen this one as they've been sold out every time I've gone. I'm told it's got 7 grams of fiber, and then is jam-packed with dried cherries and baked apples. Sounds pretty good.

3) Power Protein Plate: This is not in every store and seems like a South Beach Diet knock off. It's a plate of cheddar cheese, fruit, hard boiled egg, a whole wheat bagel and some peanut butter.

4) Spinach Feta Wrap: Like the protein plate, this is not in every Starbucks. It's a wrap with spinach, feta, egg and roasted tomato. Like the apple bran muffin, it also has 7 grams of fiber.

THE TRAVELING STARBUCKS ADDICT

I admit that my Starbucks fetish over the seasonal foods is a little strange, but what's even weirder is that I get a kick out of seeing which cities get the best food based on their demographic.

If you travel and have the same Starbucks addiction I do, you already know that every place has something different: Toronto Starbucks have these yummy oat/chocolate squares and vegan brownies, Tampa has this exotic Mallocara sweet bread, and San Fran has Polenta Cherry Scones and Carmelita bars - BUT they don't have the double chocolate loaf.

I was hoping Texas Starbucks would have something unique, but I haven't found it yet. Still...the search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment