Friday, September 5, 2008

Meeting a couple of hereos at an "Unbeatable" performance

It's been over a year since I saw a play, but when I watched Unbeatable at Houston's Stages Repertory Theatre on Thursday, I instantly remembered how much I love them.

If you haven't been to Stages Theatre, it's an intimate space - which means it's small, there is not a bad seat in the house, and you're so close to the actors, you can see their facial expressions.

This also means that the actors have to be really good to pull off the show, as they can't hide behind big special effects. It's basically them, a couple of props and their talent.

A MUSICAL WITH HEART

Talent is not something the cast of Unbeatable was lacking. In fact, some of you may have seen the lead actor, who plays Tracy Doyle, before. Her name is Kristy Cates and she was Elphaba (you know, the green girl) in the original Broadway cast of Wicked. I actually had the chance to see her when the show was on tour in Toronto and she was brilliant. In this play, she's just as amazing.
From the moment she steps on stage, you are instantly swept up into her character's world of never ending appointments, deadlines, events and errands. It's all rush, rush, rush...and run, run, run.

Wait a minute....that sounds like my life.

But that's where the similarity ends.

You see, Unbeatable is based on the true story of a woman who thought she was in control of her life, until she was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer. Then, everything changed whether she wanted it to or not.

But don't even start thinking this play is going to be a downer, because it's actually the opposite.

Unbeatable is not going to leave you with bloodshot eyes and a runny nose (well, I admit I did tear up a couple of times, so maybe you should bring one or two tissues). But really, this musical is a comedy.

I promise the catchy tunes, quips between the characters, and jokes throughout the play will keep you laughing - especially the heroine's best friend Ally, played by Cassie Goldbach. Ally's a little boy-crazy, a little-wild, and a whole lot of fun. She's the loyal friend that every girl needs. And in this play, she's the comedic relief. Plus, she has a powerful voice that could raise the roof. Give me some soul, sister!

So is this another cancer-schmacy story? Nope...not at all. Unbeatable deals with some something many of us are guilty of: Time and taking it for granted.

Instead of focusing on cancer, Unbeatable puts the lead character on trial on how she spent her life. Sure she may have saved a thousand hours over her lifetime by squeezing in appointments and juggling commitments, but does it matter? What important things did she put on hold because she was too "busy" to take the time?

Kristy Cates told me this theme was one of the reasons she took the role.

"I want people to leave the performance saying, 'I'm going to be a better person'," said Cates.

And you will.

TRUE LIFE UNBEATABLE HEROS

I admit my favorite part of the night was after the performance was over. It was then that I ran into the two most amazing women I have met so far in Houston.

Sharron Zaisman and Beverly Schaffer are friends who came to the show. They are breast cancer survivors and proud of it - as they should be. They are spunky, positive, and beautiful. Their zest for life is empowering.

"I've been cancer free for seven years," said Sharron. "Hope and faith got me through. I told the doctor to just remove both my breasts, but he told me their goal was breast conservation."

Beverly was less lucky.

"I've been cancer free since 2001, but they just discovered that the cancer has come back," said Beverly. "But I'm going to beat it again with a new procedure."

Beverly is one gutsy lady. She is going to try something new to beat the disease with the goal of getting rid of it forever. Her innovative procedure will involve shooting radiation into her bones and then chemotherapy.

"I'll be poked and prodded for 18 months, but I'm going to lick this thing," said Beverly.

Sharron couldn't agree more and has every confidence that her friend will be cancer free again soon.

"You really have to keep your sense of humor. That's the most important thing," said Sharron.

No comments:

Post a Comment