Thursday, August 28, 2008

What? There's a port in Houston?

These were my exact words when someone told me about the Port of Houston.

I'd like to say my lack of knowledge was because I've only been here a little over a month, but even though I've seen Houston on a map, I never really connected that it's on the gulf. I think it's because you never see any water around (except for the Bayou).

It was then that I decided it was time I ventured out of the Innerloop and check it out for myself.

Turns out, there is a free boat tour at the Port of Houston that is open to the public. The tours are Tuesday to Friday, but don't wait until the last minute to book and don't plan on going standby as they don't accept anyone without a reservation.

THE TOUR
The Port of Houston tours are pretty popular (the boat only fits 45 people). I called on a Monday, hoping for a Tuesday reservation and they were booked. I got on the Wednesday booking just by luck as they had one seat left.

The 90 minute tour is completely on the water. They offer complimentary coffee and soft drinks, but the real magic starts by boarding the MV Sam Houston.

Named after the legendary military commander, the vessel has been in service for 50 years ever since it's inaugural voyage in July 30, 1958.

As soon as you step onto the boat, it instantly takes you back to a more luxurious time where coach class did not exist. There are large red leather swivel chairs and a couch in middle of the air conditioned lounge area. It feels more like a yacht than your typical tourist cruise -- you know the ones that make you sit on hard plastic benches.

In fact, if you talk to someone who's done the tour before, chances are it was on this same boat.

"I took the tour 35 years ago. They told me it was the same boat, but I didn't recognize it," said Guerra, one of my fellow passengers.

Guerra moved to Houston around 40 years ago and is a retired high school teacher. Unlike me, he did know Houston was by the water. He was there because his wife's sister wanted to see the port.

"I might start bringing out-of-town guests on the boat," said Guerra.

I must admit, I was blown away by the tour. It's is a leisurely cruise throughout the port. Along the way you'll see various freighters from all over the world, people working on the docks, as well as a few oil refineries. One of the refineries you'll see is the Crown refinery which opened in 1919, making it the oldest one in the area (I may have to check that out one day).

THE PORT AND WHERE TO EAT
But for all historical wonder, the port is still a place of business. It is the busiest one in the United States and one of the largest in the world. This means you won't be seeing any kayakers or motor boats on the water as security is tight.

"They don't allow small vessels in here after 911," said Guerra. "Apparently, they used let people tie up their boats at Allen's landing to go for dinner, but not anymore."

They also don't allow you to take pictures and videos. That rule came out in August 2007.

But don't let the security stop you. The tour is the only way the public has a chance to see port operations. And if boats aren't your thing, my new boating-friend told me there is one other way you can see the port.

"There are some great restaurants nearby where you can watch the freighters come in and out," said Guerra.

Guerra used to like go to Shanghai Red, but it was torn down a couple of years ago. His second choice was Brady's Landing, which has a full glass wall overlooking the water.

"We used to meet people there for Sunday brunch," said Guerra.

Mmmm...brunch. I think I may have to try that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment