Saturday, August 23, 2008

The inside scoop on what it takes to be America's Next Top Model

Saturday morning at Houston's Memorial City Mall more than 700 girls between the ages of 18 and 27 lined up for their chance to audition for America's Next Top Model...and then there was me. (You can read my article on the Next Top Model auditions here).

While I wasn't about to audition, a part of me was curious at who these potential Houston-area Supermodels were. Would they be divas? Would they be drop dead gorgeous? Would they be so skinny that I would regret eating my Starbuck's Saturday morning treat?

Turns out they were none of the above. They were just girls with a dream.

But I did discover a couple of things that they all had in common:

1) Poise - All of the girls knew how to take a picture. I mean, if you catch me on the street and want my photograph (not that this ever happens) it's going to turn out like Nick Nolte's mug shot. Really...I have not mastered the art of the impromptu photo. But these girls, some who are barely out of high school, have got the "look" down. If you don't believe me, check out my photos.

2) Courage - What completely amazed me is that almost all of the girls I spoke to had absolutely no modeling experience. They were going to audition in front of the judges of one of the most watched reality shows with no training, no practice, and no coaching - unless you include the praise and encouragement from their friends. I don't know about you, but strutting my stuff in front of a group of people who are sometimes brutally honest to their contestants is not my idea of fun. These girls have a lot more courage than I do, and I have to give them credit. You go, girls!

3) Confidence - Confidence in yourself is an incredible gift...and all of these girls had it. Regardless of their weight, height or looks, these girls were ready to "suck it up" and put aside any weak traits. Sometimes, when doing a story, it take while to get people comfortable, but not these girls. Even the girls who told me they were normally shy, were ready to talk confidently and professionally about their career goals, and what they hoped for in the future.

4) Focus - Man...these girls were focused. Being a model wasn't just a pipe dream. The young women I spoke to had done their research before their big day and they were ready to take the leap. They had watched the show since the first season and knew the fashion industry. Some of them had even auditioned in other cities and brought this knowledge with them. They were not giving up until they took their shot at fame.

5) A Cool Name - I don't know what my parents were thinking when they gave me my boring name, but they certainly were not thinking "Supermodel". Out of all the girls I spoke to, none of them had plain-Jane names. In fact, many of them had names that were made to be said alone like Selana, Rianne, and Jacradesha.

If you've got more courage than I do and want to audition, you can check out the requirements. The next auditions will be in Tampa on August 30.

America's Next Top Model wouldn't let me talk to the girls after the audition, so I can't tell you how they did. I can tell you this: a model is more than just a pretty face.

No comments:

Post a Comment