Thursday, March 29, 2012

Master of my domain


I have a new project that I’m excited about. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for at least a decade, but hadn’t gotten around to doing it – mostly because it’s expensive and also because I’ve been doing a lot of other stuff (like moving around the U.S.).

So what is this new amazing project? It’s my masters.

Yes, I know I already have two BA’s, a BAA and a couple Associate degrees, but even with all these papers, I’m still don't have master in anything.

One of the reasons I’ve been procrastinating is that I really wanted to get it at Kings College in England and study Medieval history. I even got my British citizenship years ago just in case. But then real-life kicked in and I realized because I already had a massive student loan to pay off from the other degrees, it would be crazy to fly off to the UK for the fun of it -- just for more school.

But not anymore. I'm going back. Sadly, I’m not going to Kings College as planned. Mainly because the thought of quitting my job for two or three years and getting another big loan is scary. I mean, I’m spontaneous and a little crazy, but I’m not THAT crazy. Of course, I haven’t given up on Kings College. I figure once I have my masters, I may be able to teach there as a guest professor or something. Don’t roll your eyes at me. It could happen.

Anyway, after researching online master courses (as you never know where I could be living in the next few years and I didn't want to feel stuck in one place), I narrowed my options down to a Masters in Journalism and Mass Communications from Kent State or a Masters of Science in Creativity and Innovation at Drexel. One option is practical; the other not so much.

Naturally, I’m choosing the “not so practical” option mainly because the Masters of Science courses are so interesting. Just reading the course list gives me goosebumps. I love learning how and why people think and studying out-of-the-box thinkers from years gone by is inspiring. Also, they also have courses on how to use the way people think to stir up creativity in the workplace and even in hostile situations – because you never know when the DOD will give me a call and ask for my expertise.

Now I just have to come up with the $50,000 for tuition.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Michelle, As my daughter says keep your hopes up high and your head down low,

    love and hugs
    Dayna

    ReplyDelete