Tuesday, July 5, 2011

La Jolla is pronounced La Hoy-ya

The coast at La Jolla
Embarrassing lesson of the day: La Jolla is pronounced La Hoy-ya.

Who knew? Well, apparently lots of people as I was the only one pronouncing it wrong.

The good thing is I picked the place because it sounded “jolly” and it is kind of a happy place. I mean, how can you go wrong with the ocean right there?

Looking for a weekend of rest and relaxation, I decided to drive down the coast and check out the La Jolla scene which is completely different from the San Diego vibe even though they are next door to each other.  I admit, I totally loved it.

I ran each morning along the path by the ocean, rented a bicycle to ride along the coast down through Del Mar and watched the sun set while drinking wine on restaurant patios.  It was a lovely getaway.


THE B AND B BY THE SEA

The entrance to the B&B
I stayed in this historical old house called The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla.  It was built in 1913 and really chic for a bed and breakfast. 

They serve you wine and cheese at 5 p.m. each day, the breakfast was nice and you have a decanter filled with sherry in your room to help you sleep at night.
 
This place is perfect and I totally recommend it if you like bed and breakfasts.  It's clean, has friendly service and is cute. They are also located 1 block from the ocean. What else can you ask for if you love B&Bs?
 
IT'S NOT YOU; IT'S ME

You know how some people think bed and breakfasts are romantic and play into their lovey-dovey fantasties?  Well, sadly, I am not one of those people.

I always feel like I'm staying at Grandma's house and have to be extra good. But I will keep trying them out every once and a while just in case I change my mind. 
 
So it's not the B and B by the sea -- as that place was really adorable; it's me.

What I need to relax is the fake man-made resort with the manicured lawn, big pool and room service menu.  I know it's completely not authentic, but whatever. Maybe the complete escape from reality is what I need to feel like I'm finally on vacation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the B&B thing as not being a romantic getaway! It IS like staying with relatives... and relatives that don't know you well enough to accept bad behaviour (of which I have plenty). I DO enjoy B&B's when I'm travelling overseas and want to get to know about the place, people and culture - THEN staying with two great aunties in Edinburgh is fantastic! But only if you're with your friend, and not your love-ah.
    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...So true. This place was lovely though. I think I just need a different type of pampering.

    ReplyDelete