Monday, July 11, 2011

Cycling the Vineyard and Valley Scenic Tour Route

As soon as I heard about Oregon’s Vineyard and Valley Scenic Tour Route, I knew I had to cycle it. There was only one problem – none of the bike rental places in the area seemed to know how to get on it.

MAP OF OREGON'S VINEYARD AND VALLEY SCENIC TOUR ROUTE

But I wasn’t about to give up. The Vineyard and Valley Scenic Tour Route was created in 2009 to showcase the viticultural, agricultural and historical region of Washington County in Oregon. It’s a 50 mile loop that takes you past farmland, wineries and rolling countryside.

They don’t recommend cyclists do the whole route because of the narrow winding roads and bridges could make it dangerous, but some of the areas are pretty good - or at least the section I cycled on was safe.  I also came across a lot of cyclists along the way - so it wasn't just me out there. 

Plus, it's beautiful and I found because you are on the sideroads where the speed limit is lower, the drivers were courteous.

However, I will warn you that the route is hilly so you're going to get a great workout.  The road shoulders in some areas are also non-existent so you'll have to be as courteous to drivers as they are to you -- in other words, pull over and let cars pass and be extra careful when it comes to turns.

MY SUNDAY AFTERNOON ROUTE
I started by driving to Forest Grove where I rented a bike from Olson's Bike Rentals (but you could also rent bike from Banks Bike Rental).

From Olson's, I rode down Elm Street and turned right onto Highway 47 and continued riding until I saw the signs for Montinore Estate Winery (about 4 miles). 

There's a paved bike path that follows the highway so you won't have to cycle with the cars for the first three miles. Bonus.

Once you turn onto the road for Montinore, you'll be on the Vineyard and Valley Scenic Tour Route.

I'd love to tell you that it's got great signage, but the signs are a little far apart -- especially if you're cycling.  So there will be many times where you'll wonder if you're lost or not. But eventually you'll see another sign and feel relieved.

The wineries are also far apart or at least farther apart than they are in Napa or the Niagara Valley region in Canada. 

I rode to Montinore and then to Plum Hill Vineyards. These were only a few miles apart, but going from Montinore to Shafer Vineyard Cellars is a good 5 or 6 miles. 

Then there's David Hill Winery. 

If following the vineyard route, you won't see a sign for the winery, but you will see a sign for the David Hill Road.  The winery is up this road, but I'm going to warn you that may want to drive up the hill rather than cycle.  That's what I ended up doing. 

Yes, I admit it.  I wimped out.

But when you get there, you'll see why. 

I starting biking up the steep hill and about half a mile up, the pavement ended and I was cycling on loose gravel (while still trying to pedal up hill).

That's when I gave up and rode all the way back to the bike shop to pick up my car.

And I was glad I did.

David Hill Road IS one massive hill. After the pavement ends, you'll still need to climb another two or three miles up the winding road on the loose gravel.   Along the way, there is no sign of the winery and you'll start to wonder if you've made a mistake.  But it does exist. You just have to be patient.

Just when you are about to give up, you'll see a break through the trees and will get a glimpse of the grape vines in the valley below.  The view is incredible.

From there, it's maybe a quarter mile to the tight turn that will take you to David Hill Winery.

Again there is no sign. You have to be looking for the gates to see it.


But if you're not a wuss like me and make it up the hill on your bike, you won't be disappointed and you will have well-earned your wine treat.

The winery is relaxing and has picnic tables outside for resting.  For $5 you can choose seven vintages to sample in their tasting room.  They also will ship wine to your home so you won't have to bike down the hill while trying to carry your bottles.

But even if you drive, I highly recommend David Hill Winery.  It's the perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment