Friday, May 22, 2009

Spending quality time with my best friend

Have you watched the movie "Marley & Me?" If you haven't, don't read the rest of this blog because I don't want to spoil the ending for you.

I just watched the movie last night and I now think my little pet rabbit needs some extra love today - whether he wants it or not.

You see, I must have the oldest living rabbit in history. He's 14 and still pretty active. In fact, when I take him to the vet they are shocked that he's lived this long. They tell me that apparently house rabbits only live 6 to 8 years. Ha!

Of course, I tell them mine is special, just because he's mine, but also, because I don't know what I'd do if he passed away.

He keeps me sane after a crazy day at the station and reminds me that I should enjoy the simple things in life like sitting in the sun, eating good food (if he loves his treats, he closes his eyes as he chews) and just being free. Yes, my rabbit is free all day, and he sometimes just runs for no reason and does a little happy dance. But don't worry. He's litter trained like a cat so there are no little "messes."

He's been with me through most of my adult life and has travelled with me as I moved from station to station and city to city. And considering how often I've moved, he's probably been to more places in the US and Canada than some people have.

But no matter where we move to, he's always happy just to hang with me.

Unfortunately, like I said, he's old. Real old --just like Marley in "Marley & Me."

So in honor of our furry friends, here are some things you can do with them (most of these are for dogs, and not rabbits):

1) Shampooch your pup: Houston Humane Society and Whole Foods is hosting a benefit dog wash on May 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at all Houston area Whole Foods. Get your pup shampooed while helping out pets in need.

2) Visit a dog park: There are close to 20 dog parks in the Houston area and some of them are 15 to 20 acres big - which means lots of running space.Click here for a map.

3) Play frisbee: Lots of dogs love playing frisbee. If you think you and your dog want to take it to the next level, consider joining the Houston Canine Frisbee Disc Club.

4) Go for a walk and a little wine: The Tasting Room in Midtown (114 Gray Street) is dog-friendly. Sip wine or beer while noshing on cheese and chocolate plates while your pup and other dogs play on the huge patio. Dog bowls are available on request.

5) Go shopping: We all know you can take your dog to PetSmart, but did you know you can take your dog (or cat) to the Galleria? Well, not the whole Galleria, but to the Houston SPCA Pet Parade. It's the SPCA retail shop and it's located behind Macy's on the second floor. Pet Parade has toys, gifts and other goodies. They also have cats, kittens, dogs and puppies up for adoption.

6) Weekend Getaways: Lot of hotels let you bring your pets. My absolute favorite (because they allow rabbits, too) is the Hotel Derek. They don't just let you bring your pet, but actually have a "pet" area at the side of the hotel on the first floor to make it easy for owners to take them out to do their business. They also offer different pet services and provide complimentary snacks. There is a fee to bring your pet though, so call the hotel for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment