Sunday, March 1, 2009

There's more than BBQ at the Houston Rodeo

Unfortunately, that old Texas saying "this ain't my first rodeo" does not apply to me. That's because this March will be my first time at a rodeo.

Yup, this city girl is about to become a whole lot more Texan.

Who knows. Maybe by the end of the month, I'll actually be able to pull off saying "y'all."

TOP THINGS ON MY RODEO LIST

Just like everything else in Texas, the rodeo is big. In fact, it's so big that there's no way you can see everything, eat everything or do everything in one visit.

So in addition to eating (because I definitely plan on doing that), here's my list of stuff I'm hoping to see:

1) Buy something Texan to wear: Okay, I admit it. I'm in desperate need of Western wear as my friends have told me that my black sparkly T-shirt and jeans don't exactly scream "cowgirl." They said I'm sure to find something at the over 350 booths at the rodeo - from hats and jewelry down to boots and polish.

2) Drink Texas wine at the Wine Garden: I had heard about "Texas tea," but never realized Texas had wine until recently. Not to mention, that some of it is award winning. I can't believe you have been keeping this a secret from the other states for all these years. My rodeo source tells me the wine garden will have award winning local and international wines.

3) Become a fan: At the Fan Zone, you can meet your favorite cowboys and cowgirls who compete in the RodeoHouston BP Super Series. I don't have a favorite yet, but I figure if I visit the area, I'll find out who I should be watching in the show.

4) Cheer on a Lil Rustler: This event sounds so cute. Physically and mentally challenged kids will try their hand in steer roping, bull riding and barrel racing on March 4, 5 and 11. But don't worry, they won't get hurt. They use stick horses.

5) Watch Xtreme Bulls: Unlike the Lil Rustler event, this one could hurt, so I'm glad I'm watching. On March 22, bull riding champs will try to ride over 50 of the roughest, toughest bulls in the country.

6) See a miracle: The livestock birthing center allows people to watch animals giving birth. There's a vet on hand to assist the animals so it's not quite like Discovery Channel, but it's all real and not Hollywood.



7) Race a pig: Part of Kids Country is all these crazy races. In fact, one of them is actually called 'Crazy Animal Races.' But I've been told the pigs are fun to watch. I'm not sure why, but I will find out.

8) Check out the BP Super Series: Now this is what the rodeo is all about. Each year, champion cowboys and cowgirls compete the world's richest regular-season PRCA rodeo. In 2009, the contestants will be riding and roping for more than $1.4 million in prize money.

9) Watch kids bust mutton: I've heard of calf scrambling, but never of Mutton Busting. Turns out that for the first time, the rodeo will let little cowboys and cowgirls try riding sheep this year--in addition to calves.

10) See what the llamas are wearing: Nope...I'm not kidding. They actually do have a Llama and Alpaca costume contest. It's on March 14 in the Reliant Area and I've been told it's hilarious. With their serious faces and big brown eyes, a lot of llamas look like people when they are all dressed up.

Well, that's my top 10 list. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it all, but I'm going to try. I also might try to squeeze in an auction. Just like bull riding and the Super Series, it seems like a rodeo thing to do.

Oh...and don't forget. The cheap days are Wednesdays. For $10, you get into Reliant Park, the championship rodeo AND you actually get to see a concert:

March 4: Alan Jackson

March 11: Reba McEntire

March 18: Gary Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment