Monday, February 2, 2009

Can a penguin predict spring's arrival?

Usually it's the groundhog that predicts the coming of spring, but not in Galveston. Over on the island, it a very cute and very talented Rockhopper penguin named Hendrix.

Hendrix comes from the South Pole, so he's apparently an expert on cold weather and knows exactly when spring will arrive.

I must say, the little dude looked dashing in natural tuxedo. And with his spiky blond crown, he kind of reminded me of Daniel Craig in James Bond.

However, Hendrix didn't need any gadgets to do his job. In a few short minutes, he was able to predict that spring would arrive on March 14.

I hope he's right. I don't like sleeping with my socks on and there have been a couple of nights this January that were a little bit on the chilly side. Plus, my flip flops are getting dusty.

Hendrix also gave a little speech, but unfortunately I don't speak penquish so I couldn't make out what he was saying. But Moody Gardens Animal Husbandry Manager Greg Whittaker was able to translate the penguin language for me.

"Hendrix says, without a doubt, the summer will be here for another six weeks," said Whittaker. "According to him, spring in Galveston will be here precisely on March 14."

So how does a penguin make his prediction? Surprisingly, it's just like the groundhog and all about the shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment