Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dust off your boots. It's Rodeo Uncorked!

Most of you may be thinking the rodeo doesn't start until March. But I just found out that some of the really good stuff is happening on February 8. And when I say good stuff, I mean stuff that's going to taste good going down.


This Sunday is the 6th Annual Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition at the Reliant Center.

MORE FOOD AND WINE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE

I didn't realize wine was part of the rodeo at all. I thought it would be all beer tents and BBQ. But now that I do know, I'm not going to miss out on this wine and food tasting extravaganza, and if you're a foodie you won't be able to resist it either.

"The event has grown so big that this is the first year that it's going to be at Reliant Center," said Gigi Wark, Houston Rodeo volunteer.

When Gigi told me this, I imagined 500 people and a bunch of tables. Of course, I keep forgetting that this is Texas and big really means SUPER BIG! So how big is big? Well, they are expecting 4000 people. No really. This event is practically a small town of food-loving and wine-drinking people.

Last year the event sold out, but this year because it's bigger than ever, you may be able to get tickets at the door. Individual tickets are $100 and a table of 10 is $1800. But with your table, you get to start tasting the wine 30 minutes before everyone else. Plus, you get a swanky gift bag filled with goodies and you'll be recognized in the program.

But if you just want to go with a friend or your significant other, the individual tickets aren't too shabby. You get in at 6:30 and can sit at one of the many bar tables set up around the room.

ONLY THE BEST OF THE BEST

Here's the question I had: Is the wine and food included with my ticket? The answer is yes! And you can snack and sip all night long, which is a good thing because there's going to be 65 restaurants and 200 wines.

"I attended Best Bites as a guest for two years before I got on the committee. I'm not a wine expert, but it was the first time that I didn't feel guilty dumping out a glass that I didn't really like, which is what the whole idea of the event is," said Gigi.

You can do the same with the food which is going to include stuff like wings and banana pudding, roasted sirloin on Brioche, ahi tuna, smoked brisket and blackened steak sandwiches. There's also a whole lot more, but you can check out some of the items on the menu by clicking here.

And then there's the wine. It's from all over the world and they are all award winning wines -- so basically you are getting the best of the best. But be careful not to get too much of a buzz. You still got to drive home at the end of the night.

"My favorite part is sampling all the restaurants. My husband and I are the type of people who always go to Pappas because we know it's going to be good. This opened our eyes up to what was out there. Now we make a point of going to one new place a month," said Gigi.

Sound like a good idea to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment