Monday, December 8, 2008

Nana Mouskouri and a weekend of cookies

This weekend, I'm planning to spend time at home. Don't get me wrong. I love checking out the stuff that's going on around Houston and blogging about it, but sometimes it's nice to hang out at home -- especially during this time of year.
That's because it's the holiday season, which means it's time to start baking.

And if you don't believe me, just ask my mother.

Unlike me, who waits until the last moment to do her baking, my mom starts in mid-October.

Yup...that's right. She sets aside a Sunday afternoon, puts on an old Christmas CD (Nana Mouskouri is her favorite) and begins measuring out the ingredients for our traditional Christmas cake. It takes days to ferment the fruit (it's soaked in rum), and then after baking, months for the cake to mellow.

The weekends that follow are dedicated to making the squares: peanut butter nanaimo bars, date bars, brownies, and something yummy with marshmallows, coconut and chocolate. We don't have a name for this one. We just know it is delicious.

Finally, it's time for the cookies.

Each year the assortment varies, but shortbread and decorated sugar cookies in holiday shapes are a "must." These are followed by what we call Thimble Cookies or Jam Jams. They are shortbread-like but shaped into a ball and covered with walnuts. Then just before baking, a thumbprint is carefully placed in the centre of each cookie.

Of course, we don't eat the cookies when they are made. They were always kept in a big freezer in the basement (I grew up in the north and we really did have a basement), where they tempted us for months before the big unveiling on December 24.

So what am I making on my cookie-weekend? Well, let's just say I'm not going to make as much stuff as my mom does. But I will make something.

Michelle's Mom's Jam Jams

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup powder sugar
  • 3 cups sifted flour
  • 6 egg yolks
  • Pink of salt
  • Rind of 1/2 lemon
  • Chopped walnuts
  • Any type of jam
Cream butter and sugar together until light. Then add salt, lemon rind and the eggs yolks, one at a time. Once blended, gradually the flour and knead the dough until thoroughly blended. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Roll the dough with slightly floured hands into uniform balls about the size of a ping pong ball. Press a slight indentation into each ball with your little finger.

Paint with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle the tops with finely chopped walnuts.

Bake at 350° F. until the balls are golden brown. When cooled, fill the indentations with homemade jam (or if you are lazy like me, store bought jam).

No comments:

Post a Comment