Thursday, December 25, 2008

I'm dreaming of a Mexican Christimas

Can you believe that I've lived in Houston for over five months and have never had Mexican food? I know. I can't believe it either.

I told my friend Juanita about this dilemma and she said, "What are you waiting for? Christmas?"

Apparently, I was. This is because it wasn't until the holiday season that I had my first mouthful of real Texan Mexican food.

The first time I had it was on December 20 and I so wish I would have it earlier. It was soooo good.

I was invited to a graduation party for one of our station interns and she was having a traditional Mexican celebration. I had no idea what to expect, especially when it came to the food. But I was excited to find out.

For months people have been telling me about how good Mexican food was here, but honestly, I never believed them. I just assumed it would be greasy, heavy and fattening -- kind of like Taco Bell.

After my first bite, I realized I was I wrong and was missing out on something wonderful all these months.

The food was nothing like Taco Bell -- well, maybe some of it was fattening, but I have no problem with calorie-filled food as long it's incredible and worth the workout I would have to do afterwards.

At Aneyeli's graducation there was a buffet of different sauces and stews. I'm not even sure what everything was, but I loved it all -- especially the chicken in the mole sauce. That was fabulous.

And it's a good thing I loved all the food, because on Christmas Day I had it all again. This time, it was my at co-worker's home. They made me rice, salsa, enchiladas (which I had never eaten before) and my favorite - chicken in mole sauce! Man...just typing it out makes me crave it. It was so good.

Plus, Mexican hospitality is over the top. They take you in and make you part of the family -- which is what the holiday season is all about.

Thanks guys!! You are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment