Saturday, December 27, 2008

I dream of Victoria's Secret, but Victoria does not dream of me

I don't know if it's the lighting in the change rooms, the fact that I'm practically naked or that I'm spending way too much to plump, push up and accent my cleavage in a pathetic attempt to magically transform into a Victoria's Secret supermodel, but whatever it is, I detest bra shopping.

It seems no matter how much I prepare for the experience, it always ends with me drinking hot chocolate with extra whipped cream in Starbucks after being frustrated and disappointed.

But that was before I discovered La Mode Lingerie on West Gray.

I DREAM OF VICTORIA, BUT VICTORIA DOES NOT DREAM OF ME
Okay...I admit it. I am totally envious of the women who are the perfect 34B or 34C and can buy pretty matching sets from the Victoria's Secret catalogue and have them fit. Sadly, like a lot of women, this never works for me. I've had to accept the fact that my body is just not made for their bras - which sucks as they are so cute!

But pretty matching undies isn't what I was searching for this weekend.

This time I was looking for some serious and practical undergarments. I wanted a strapless bra to go with my New Year's Eve dress. And not just any strapless bra - I wanted one that was guaranteed to stay put all night long, even if I wanted to dance.

GOING STRAPLESS FOR THE FIRST TIME
For years I have avoided strapless dresses and tops just because I never felt comfortable in any that I've tried on.

Believe me, I've done bra fittings at Neiman Marcus. I've tried Macy's and I've even visited wedding boutiques. Call me paranoid, but no matter which one they gave me, I was convinced that they were going to slide down, and I'd be spending the entire evening discretely trying to push it back up.

It turns out my fears were correct.

While these places were fitting me for the bra that fit me the best, it seems that my size is weird and the bra that "fits" is still not the right size. They were simply selling me the closest match.

THE LAST STOP
Refusing to pay $60 or more for a bra that I didn't feel comfortable in, I dropped into La Mode Lingerie.

I figured, if I didn't find one there, I would return my strapless dress and get something else. Besides, the boutique is conveniently located by a Starbucks and after driving all over the city, I was dangerously close to needing my pity-party hot chocolate fix.

I walked in, and let me just say, La Mode should have been my first stop. They are set up for the serious bra shopper who doesn't want to waste all day. There is no rummaging through drawers, no bins of bras, and no frustration at trying to find your size or color.

I simply told the woman that I needed a beige strapless bra and gave her my estimated size. Within minutes, she brought over three could work, and the fitting began.

30% OFF AND FREE ALTERATIONS!!!
The people that work at La Mode Lingerie are the bra fairies. There is no lying, no trying to squeeze you into something that doesn't fit, and no denying when something is too big or is going to pucker or show through your outfit.

They want you to look good and feel good about what you're wearing - even if no one else is going to see it.

So when they had me try on the one that was the "closest fit," they were honest and told me that it wasn't perfect. They said that was a little too big in the back (Ha! I knew those other ones would slip down).

But get this...they would alter the hooks for FREE!!!

Now that's service.

Plus, if you go now, they are having a 30% off sale on all regular priced items until December 31.

Oh...and here's a tip. When shopping for a bra, bring the outfit you want to wear it with. This way you be sure that it will work for the occassion.

LOCATION
2013D West Gray
Houston, Texas 77019
713-529-3980

No comments:

Post a Comment