Sunday, February 1, 2015

The beauty of Antelope Canyon







There are a few things I didn’t get to do when living in Arizona and visiting Antelope Canyon to check out the amazing wave shapes in the stone was one of them.



Antelope Canyon is located 4 hours from Phoenix or you can go from Las Vegas. It’s 4 hours from there as well. It’s quite a drive if you plan to go, see it and drive back in a day. I drove up to Flagstaff the night before and stayed in a cheap hotel to break up the trip, which I was glad I did as I got lost on the way and the 4-hour drive turned into 6 hours.

 The lower and upper canyon are on Navajo land by Page, AZ and are located just outside the town.  Surprisingly, it wasn't crowded at all, but they do recommend booking in advance just in case.



The canyon is what they call a slot canyon. You enter through these holes in the Earth and climb down a ladder to the bottom on the canyon. The canyon was formed by flash floods and water eroding the sandstone. 



The effect is really quite memorizing. The photos I took were with my iPhone and were just the way the light played on the rock. I only did the lower canyon. This one has a ladder that you climb down so not recommended for people with knee troubles. 



The upper canyon is also beautiful and doesn’t require any climbing. Both canyons don’t require a lot of cardio. There were a couple young kids on my tour and they had no problem doing the tour. The walking tour of the canyon takes about an hour.


You can only go through the canyon on a tour, but the tours are inexpensive.  It was $28.  I went with Ken's Tours ( http://lowerantelope.com/?page_id=51)

No comments:

Post a Comment