Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crossing Doha off the bucket list




Doha is one of the Middle Eastern cities I've been wanting to visit since living in Saudi. Not only will it be the city for the 2022 World Cup, but it’s got some pretty amazing buildings and an interesting history.  Because of this I wanted to see it before it got wrapped up in the World Cup hype.



Doha has nearly 800,000 people and is the capital of Qatar. The majority of the people living there are expats and feels very similar to Dubai -- but it's not quite as over the top as Dubai.

In the early days, the city’s economy was based on fishing and pearl harvesting. You can still visit their pearl village while there. Now their economy comes from the oil industry and a number of major oil companies have their headquarters in the city.



I didn’t get see as much as I wanted to as I went there on my way back from Haiti and got sick on the plane. But I did walk the corniche and checked out a few of the buildings.




 I also got to see their W hotel, which is rumored to have an amazing happy hour and night life.  Unfortunately, my stomach would not let me partake in any of that fun. I actually threw up in the lobby and was so miserable feeling, I wasn't even embarrassed - a rare thing. The resort staff felt so bad for me they had chicken soup brought to my room - such a nice thing to do.



5 things to do in Doha:

1. Shop the traditional way in their local souks

2. Walk their corniche and see the oyster monument

3. Take a ride on a Dhow – a traditional fishing boat

4. Listen to jazz at the Lincoln Center

5. Go on a desert adventure to see the bedouin tents and take in where the sand dunes meet the sea

The W sent me complimentary chicken soup. How sweet is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment