Sunday, January 19, 2014

Moving overseas is not Easy-Peasy

My pilot’s name is George Michael. Not THE George Michael, but still I find this amusing.

Finally I am on my way to Saudi and the preparations have been crazy – from the intense medical exam, to the rush of selling everything I own, to the emotional heart break of saying goodbye to my friends, family and boyfriend. Most of these have been supportive with this move, but not everyone -- which has made it even harder.

Let me just say moving overseas is not like moving from Canada to the U.S. or from state-to-state. I’ve done those and it was easy. Moving to another country is a little intense.

First of all, you have to part with everything like your furniture, your car and your apartment. I thought about putting it all in storage, but when doing the math, I figured in a year I would be spending $2000 for storage and then if I came back and didn't find a job in Phoenix, I would have to transport all my stuff to the new city which is usually another $2500.

Is my stuff really worth $5000? Do I really love my sofa and bed so much that I can't get a new one later on? No. Not really.

So now all I own 6 boxes of personal goods like fine China from my mom, a few pieces of art and some clothes. That’s it. I feel really light and uncomplicated now.

Secondly, you have to be prepared to get ripped off – a lot. I detest the Craigslisters who took advantage of me when they offered me only $550 for my practically new $1800 sofa that was still under warranty. And the girl who bought my California King luxury pillow top bed (with the stuffed leather headboard and silk sheets) for $350 and nearly made me cry. I think I may still be paying off the $1,600 that bed cost me. But I was desperate. I had two weeks to sell and no other options.

Then there’s the paperwork, which I am still panicked about. I got my temporary visa okay. It took three months to get all the stuff needed for it and the stamp. I thought I was done. But then I realized I needed a few different papers for my work visa. Yeah…If you are married or divorced and don’t live in the same state (or country) where you did the deed, start working on this 6 weeks out. I’m in week three of am still waiting on the authentication as these documents needed to be signed by the state, the U.S. government and the Saudi Embassy.

Did I mention that I’m already on the plane? Yup, I’m going and I’m waiting on papers – STILL. Yes, I am stressed. Very stressed.

But I see light the end of this whirlwind tunnel and I hope it shines on some peace. In the meantime, I'm going to fasten my seatbelt and listen to what George Michael has to say.

Oh…and in case you are wondering. I have not had time to learn Arabic (I did buy the CDs though). I have not learned how to wrap my veil (hijab) – but I have it in my knapsack. And I have not had time to change all my credit cards to overseas travel. What I am is a massive ball of nerves. Touch me and I may break.

No comments:

Post a Comment