Monday, May 2, 2011

Who is Ginger Elizabeth?

If you don’t know Ginger Elizabeth, you’re about to get an introduction. She is the Sacramento chocolate goddess. This is because everything she touches is delightfully yummy (just look at that stuff in the window - I could eat one of each!!).

I first came across her chocolate masterpieces at the Ritz Carlton at Half Moon Bay a couple of years ago – which some of you know is my escape place where I go on my hermit weekends. While there, I drink wine, write, stare at the waves…and eat chocolate. Ginger Elizabeth chocolate.

At the Ritz, you get Ginger’s chocolate (yes, she is a real person) at the end of your meal or if you order the chocolate wine pairing. And these chocolates are incredible. After you eat these, you’ll not only wonder why restaurants would bother giving out mints at the end of their meal and not chocolate, but you’ll also want to know where you can get more of these bite-sized goodies.

I know, I did. But in my crazy mind, I had assumed these special chocolates were only available at the Ritz—or some far away place like France or Switzerland. Little did I know I could get them in Sacramento. Who would have thought there would be incredible chocolate just blocks from my house? Amazing!!

I swear I did a little happy hop (and maybe let out a little squeal) when I walked past the Ginger Elizabeth store a couple of weeks ago on L Street -- and it was even better than I thought.

In addition to the chocolates I still dream of from the Ritz, she also has hot chocolate, cookies, cakes and other things that make a chocolate-lovers heart go pitter patter.

I haven’t actually met the chocolate goddess myself yet, but until I do, I will continue to worship her handmade treats.

Follow writer Michelle Ponto on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment