Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Caught up in the Royal Wedding Frenzy

Okay. I admit it. I’m totally caught up in the Royal Wedding frenzy.

After months of trying to avoid watching "Entertainment Tonight" to follow the William and Kate wedding gossip (even though I secretly wanted to), I admit defeat. I’m hooked…and yes, I want to see what her dress looks like…her shoes…her flowers…the whole deal. In fact, if someone gave me ticket to London, I would be standing outside Westminster with the masses.

I’m not sure if I would go so far as to buy a tea towel or coffee mug with Will and Kate’s smiling face on them, but who knows. I could get caught up in the moment and lose all sense of style.

This has nothing to do with the media, the Queen or even the fact that I have British citizenship. It’s all about Princess Di…and nostalgia.

In 1981, I watched her wedding on TV with my mom. I was a little girl back then, but my mom and I stayed up all night drinking tea and eating homemade scones while watching the Royal Wedding. I have three younger brothers – so mom/daughter girl time was rare.

Now it’s royal wedding time again, and as the excitement builds, it feels like it's 1981 again and another modern day fairy tale is about to happen. Just like it was 30 years ago, the future is bright that not even the British tabloids can find a scandal. It’s young love. That’s why so many of us can’t help but watch. With so much death and destruction going on, finally something positive is consuming the news world. It brings out the optimistic side in us – even when we jest and say it won’t last.

However, this time I won’t be watching the wedding with my mom in my jammies, but will be at the news station. Yes, I’ll be working…but when it’s news like this, it’s going to be worth coming into the station at 1 a.m. to be part of the action as it unfolds.

Plus, you have to remember, I’m totally into this.

I’ve bought special English Breakfast loose leaf tea to drink during my shift and I have scones planned for my snack. I’ve even researched local royal wedding watch parties and am planning to crash the one at the Fox and Goose, one of Sacramento’s British pubs, to see what other wedding fans think and take a bunch of photos and video– on behalf of the news station, of course.

The Fox and Goose won’t be serving scones and my super tasty tea, but they will have non-alcoholic champagne and crumpets to toast the royal couple in style. I do like crumpets with butter. Yum!!

So bring on the Royals! I’m ready for some good news!!

No comments:

Post a Comment