Friday, July 3, 2009

Turning the witching hour to happy hour

One of things I miss now that I'm working the night shift at KHOU-TV is that I never get to go to Happy Hour, especially because Houston has so many good ones.

I mean there's the $6 drinks at Benji's Lounge (and $5 appetizer menu), $2 longnecks and $4 pints at The Red Lion Pub, $1 sake and $2 sushi at Ra, and Sambuca downtown has $3 house wines and $4 martinis.

And don't even get me going on all the Mexican places that have Happy Hour Margaritas. It's paradise.


But when you work nights and get off on average around 12:30 a.m., Happy Hour quickly becomes a distant memory.

At least, that's what I thought until discovered that Max's Wine Dive does a reverse Happy Hour.

Don't get me wrong. They do a regular Happy Hour too and it begins at 1 p.m. on Friday for all you lucky people who work only half days in the summer.
But for late nighters like me, they do another Happy Hour during the last two hours of every night. So on Fridays and Saturdays, this is from midnight to 2 a.m.


HALF PRICE FOOD TO DIE FOR

I have to say their Happy Hour is not too shabby. All their full-size dishes are half price and many of the appetizers are half price too.


I went this week and got their Nacho Mama's Oysters for $4.50 and then got their award-winning and totally yummy Max & Cheese for another $4.50 to go (this is my favorite thing on the menu and makes a great lunch the next day).
You can also get ribs, buffalo sliders, calamari and more - all for less than $5.50 a dish.


The couple beside me got this incredible Pan Borracho for $5.50 which was out of this world.


If you don't know what this is, let me explain because I didn't know what it was either. When it came out, it looked like some sort of cheese casserole, but it's not that at all.


Instead, it's a sourdough baguette that's been soaked in white wine and seasoned with spices. Then they top it with cheese and procscuitto and bake it into yummy goodness. Man...it was so good, I may actually get it next time.


DON'T FORGET IT IS WINE DIVE

While I do love the food at Max's (so nice to be able to order something more than a burger and fries after midnight), I love the wine more.

The best part about Happy Hour (whether you go to the early one or the late one) is that many of their wines are also half price.

Sure you can get a cheap $4 glass of wine, but I like to take advantage of the deal and order the $30 glass of wine I normally wouldn't buy and savor it for the reduced $15 price. Of course, I'm a light drinker so one glass is basically my limit.

Besides, now that I don't get to go out as much, I'm finding it's all about quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment