Sunday, July 5, 2009

Beyonce is the bomb

This weekend when I had the chance to meet Beyonce, I was both psyched and a little apprehensive - because meeting people you've seen in magazines can be a little bit like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.

I know they are all airbrushed to look perfect, but a little part of me really wants the illusion to be real.

So when Beyonce Knowles came back to her hometown of Houston to promote her "Show your helping hand" campaign, I couldn't resist covering the story for the station. Not only was this a great non-profit event that would help Houston's hungry, but I would discover whether the image was real.

SO WAS SHE REAL?

Let me just tell you, Beyonce is bigger than life. Literally.

She may say she's 5 feet 6 inches on paper, but when you see her in person, she seems like she's at least 6 feet tall. Of course, she was wearing these gorgeous four inch heels.

She's also stunning. Really stunning. I swear, her skin is flawless and her hair is fabulous. She's one of those women that make you say "wow". Just take a look at these photos that I took at the press conference and judge for yourself. Yup...she's gorgeous.

But what really makes her incredible is her sense of humor and down to earth personality. Even though she is super famous, she has been able to keep it real. She's even still in touch with her childhood pastor, Rudy Rasmus of St. John's Downtown Church. In fact, he was there supporting her and helping to promote the importance of donating food to Houston's Food Banks.

Pastor Rudy says the cause was important to Beyonce because she had witnessed poverty growing up as a child in Houston.

"Beyonce grew up sitting in a pew beside hungry people," said Pastor Rudy. "She grew up in a church in downtown Houston."

Beyonce says that the "Show your helping hand" campaign is one of the ways that she can spread the word that hunger exists in the United States.

"To know that I can use my voice to do something that helps people makes me feel good," said Beyoncé, when asked why she partnered with General Mills Hamburger Helper for the cause. "There is no better feeling than giving back."

STILL A HOUSTON GIRL AT HEART

Sure Beyonce is beautiful and wants to help people, but what got me was that she is still a down-home Houston girl at heart. She's still got the southern accent and still says "y-awl". She's also got her family close to her heart.

"It's July 4 and my mom made gumbo. It was hard to leave her house," said Beyonce.

Gotta love a girl who loves her homemade gumbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment