Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Detoxing at the Kamalaya Koh Samui


I’m one of those strange people that love going to the gym, running miles at a time and eating healthy food. There are days that I eat salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner just because I love it so much.

So when I learned about Health and Fitness Travel, I had to try it out – in Thailand of course.

Kamalaya Resort

Health and Fitness Travel have customized fitness vacations for people at all levels. There are weight loss holidays, detox vacations, muscle building and workout adventures and specialized programs for those training for marathons and triathlons. I was meeting my friend Christine on the trip so we choose the Kamalaya holistic spa that overlooked the coast of Koh Samui.

They told us that Buddhist monks once used the cave temple located on the grounds for mediations and the place had a calming energy.  It certainly did seem to be peaceful and relaxing.

TRX Suspension Training was harder than it looked.
 I picked the Fusion Fitness Holiday which is a combination of cardio, muscle toning --- and weight loss if you needed to lose weight. After the fitness and body mass tests, my weight was fine for my height, my fitness level higher than women in my age group (yay!) and I apparently have the cells of someone in their late 20s (bonus!).  I normally don't like taking tests, but when I pass with flying colors, then I love them.

For 5 days I did Muay Thai Boxing, TRX suspension training, yoga and other workouts. I also had two massages, four personal training sessions, a wellness consultation, a fitness evaluation and bio-impedance analysis.

 It was pretty intense but fun. My body was sore from the different workouts, but I looked forward to them each day.  If you didn't want to do anything but the spa or walking all day, you could do that as well.  The resort catered to people wanting whatever type of fitness holiday they decided would make them happy - because who really wants to do things they don't like when on vacation?

Banana flower salad

Then there was the food.

The food was fantastic. I had no idea healthy food could taste so good. Of course, I love all vegetables and fruit so was in heaven. The all-inclusive menu was separated into normal healthy food, gluten free, dairy free and detox foods. If you weren’t on a special diet, you could choose from all three – and I did. Some of my favorites included the buckwheat pancakes at breakfast, the banana flower salad for lunch and the duck at dinner. 

A broom selling in one of the villages.  They may not have much, but the people here take pride in being tidy. 

Their website offers complete packages, but if you are short on time or have special requests, they are more than willing to accommodate you. I had only 5 days, so I couldn’t do a 7-day package. I also don’t like saunas. They looked at what they could do and created a package just for me.

You could buy bottles of gas everywhere on Koh Samui - because scooters are the transportation of choice.

When you weren’t working out or getting a spa treatment, then you could go off and explore the villages of Koh Samui.

I would go try another vacation with this company. I noticed on their website that they have resorts that specialized in hiking and trekking in the Utah, Mexico and Portugal. They look amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment