Monday, July 19, 2010

Returning to my 'Happy Place'

Don't bother denying it, because we all have one whether we admit it or not.  What I'm talking about is a “happy” place. It’s that place where you go to forget about everything and take the time to simply be in the moment.

My brother’s happy place is his ice fishing shack on the lake. It’s basically a couple of plywood boards hinged together into the shape of a box that he places in the middle of the frozen lake. If the fish aren’t biting in that particular area, he gets in his pickup truck and pushes it to another location.

It’s dark, cozy, and for him, the best way to spend a weekend. I think it’s torture.

My California happy place is the Ritz at Half Moon Bay – and my brother wouldn’t be caught dead there as it's too frou-frou and girlie. But I don’t care. I love it. It’s got a great view of the ocean, the food is good, it’s pretty and people leave you to yourself (maybe it’s their happy place too). And today, I totally deserve to be there.

You see, yesterday I finally did my first triathlon and I rocked. Really. I did. I ran, cycled and kayaked my heart out coming in at 2 hours and 31 minutes and placing 16th in my ironwoman division. Pretty darn good for a newbie.

But now, 24 hours later, I hurt. No, let me rephrase that – I hurt A LOT.

I swear, after the race, I felt great. I was on an adrenaline high and ready to do it all again. Today, I have bruises on the side of my knees from the kayak, bruises on my forearms from who knows what, my quads hurt, my gluts ache and my shins feel like someone hit them with a stick. Even my ankles hurt – but that’s probably not because of the race, but because I was wearing heels last night during our post-race celebration. Did I mention I was on an adrenaline high?

MY HAPPY PLACE ON A BUDGET

So what better place to recover from a race than at the Ritz? But here’s the thing. While I LOVE it there, I really can’t afford the $400 to stay the night during the high season. Instead, I cheat by spending the day and then driving back in the evening.

Some of you are probably wondering why I would drive two hours to a hotel and then not stay the night. I mean, isn’t that the point of going to a hotel? But let me tell you, this isn’t just any hotel. This is a Ritz Carlton and there’s nothing like it.

I usually arrive around 1:00 in the afteroon and leave my car with the valet. Then I take a walk along the shoreline and look at the waves. I admit I’m all about the water and can stare at the surf for hours. It completely relaxes me and puts me in my mellow zone. You can ask people who have been there with me. I'm in my own little world where no one else exists -- which kind of sucks for them, but oh well.

By mid-afternoon I figure it’s time to walk back to the hotel for a late lunch at their Conservatory Restaurant – where the food is fabulous. And, it’s not as expensive as you may think. My lunch bill (including my glass of wine) is usually around the $20 mark. I also get my parking validated so it’s a double bonus. Not bad for a nice relaxing day.

Oh and here's a tip: If you do happen to go with someone and want to be cheap like me (oops, I mean 'thirfty'), order the turkey club. It's gigantic and you can easily share it which makes it a super good deal for $14

SHARING MORE HAPPINESS

While I’m happy just looking out at the surf and sipping a glass of wine, there are more things to do at the Ritz – especially if you decide to stay until the evening.

Thursday is Burgers and Jazz night. It’s $19 per person, but you get the chef’s selection of burgers (and these are not bland McDonald’s style burgers, but the good stuff), a number of different brews to choose from and you get to listen to live jazz from local musicians – and you know if they are playing at the Ritz, they are top notch.

And you can't forget the wine, because hey, this is Northern California and I'm learning it's all about the wine.  Anyway, the hotel also does these incredible wine flights between 4 and 6 p.m. in their ENO wine bar. These are around $20 per person too. They serve them with great bread and nuts.

And if you are really into luxury, you can check out what they call ENO-Versity. I haven’t done this yet as I would not be able to drive home after, but from 4 to 6 p.m. every Saturday, you can do a wine/food tasting for $45. This includes six to 10 wines, appetizers and interactive wine instruction. They limit it to 12 people so it’s very intimate.

HONEY, I’M HOME

Like I mentioned, this particular weekend I couldn’t stay the night, but I have stayed at the hotel before in the fall when the prices are a little lower. It’s heaven. Really. There are fireplaces in the rooms, the beds are super comfortable and if you want, they will even draw you a bath (not with crayons, but the old English way).

But while the Ritz is beautiful, it’s the feeling of being taken of when I’m there that has me coming back. I mean, I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels over the years, but this place is special.

It all starts with the complimentary glass of wine you get when you check in, followed by slipping into the cushy slippers in your room and the plush bathrobe.

I swear, every step of the way, the stress of the real world slips farther and farther away and you enter this alternate universe where e-mail and deadlines no longer matter. In fact, the only decision you have to make is...do you want turndown service or not. Now that’s nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment