Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Birthday dinner for one

I happened to have my birthday the first week I arrived to Houston. So not only, did I not have any furniture (the moving truck was still in transit), but I didn't know anyone in the city. And I mean no one. I barely even remembered my co-workers names at the station.

Of course, everyone knew my name and when you work with a group of reporters, believe me, nothing is a secret for long.

Somehow they found out it was my birthday and surprised me by decorating my cubicle with purple balloons and confetti - totally making my day.

To cap it off, I decided I needed to take myself out for a great meal at Brennan's on Smith Street. Why Brennan's? I would like to say it's because I read great reviews or that my co-workers recommended it, but no...the reason I went there was the fried oysters.

I don't know what it is, but I associate smoked or fried oysters with a good time. It must be one of those childhood memories things as my mom always served oysters on Ritz crackers at Christmas parties when I was growing up. It's not exactly haute cuisine, but it did the trick.

On the Brennan's website, they listed fried oysters as an appetizer, but sadly, when I got there, I learned the site was outdated and you can only get a couple of them with one of the main courses.

So there I was, sitting by myself and not getting my party comfort food. But the night wasn't a total bust. Whatever Brennan's was lacking in not having my fried oysters, they made up in service. The waiter recommended a fabulous Pinot Noir to go with my meal, and then brought out a glass of complimentary champagne at the end of the night -- which was a nice touch.

Plus, the waitstaff saved me from total embarrassment by not making me wear the Brennan's party hat -- if you go there, you'll see the one. It's big and white. And totally not cool unless you are with a group. I admit I enjoy dining alone and people watching, but calling THAT much attention to myself would have taken the fun out of it.

And while the waiter did whisper a classy "Happy Birthday" when he brought my dessert, he didn't sing the song. The perfect finish to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment