Wednesday, August 13, 2008

OMG...a tropical storm and I'm not ready

Tropical Storm Edouard was my first taste of Houston's bizarre weather. I was working on Sunday, the skies were clear, and then suddenly...BAM...it was time to send out a breaking news alert because Edouard was on its way.

Edouard caught me not only unprepared at work, but at home. Even though I lived in Tampa, I was lucky that during my time there we never had a hurricane. They usually hit the other side of Florida in the Miami area. So aside, from afternoon thunderstorm (which I swear happens every single day in the summer), the weather is always hot and sunny.

But not in Houston. It changes instantly, which everybody who lives here seems to know, but nobody bothered to warn me.

Freaking out, I rush out to the local CVS and pick up supplies: water, cans of tuna, canned beans, canned spaghetti, Red Bull (for the long shifts at the station), and extra toilet paper (as I would be eating mostly tuna and beans). Being proud of purchases, I tell my co-workers that I'm ready for Edouard.

Turns out I wasn't.

It seems my supplies were not exactly what the average Houstonian buys when a possible hurricane is on its way. They showed me their stash which consisted of cookies, granola bars, Fiddle Faddle, chips, chocolate, crackers and other snack items. Only one of them had some sort of protein and that was peanut butter.

Apparently, when a storm hits Houston, it's time to live it up and pig out on snack food. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment