Friday, March 20, 2015

Ogoh-Ogoh Parade in Indonesia


Ogoh-Ogoh parade in Denpasar, Indonesia

Yes, I'm moving to Switzerland for work after spending 1.5 years in Saudi Arabia, but I decided to do a 4 day pit stop along the way to clear my mind and rejuvenate myself.



I haven't been to Indonesia before, but I've been wanting to.  So when I did some research and learned it was actually cheaper to stay in Bali than to stay in a hotel in Geneva, I figured "why not?"

Also, because I'm moving to Europe and to a place that is a little expensive, this little getaways will probably be my last Asian trip for  a while. I might as well give it try.  And, when I learned it was Balinese New Year,  I definitely had to go. What better way to start a new job in a new country than by celebrating it with a day of silence and mediation -- just like the locals do!



Balinese New Year is known as Nyepi (aka, annual Silent Day) and the area Bali takes it very seriously. They shut down all TV broadcasts, airports, public transit, schools and businesses.  They also turn off the electricity. It's a day for quiet reflection.

Ogoh-Ogoh --- love saying that!!!


The day before though, is the opposite of "Silent Day." It's the day of the Ogoh-Ogoh parade, but this isn't any normal parade. This one is all about demons and spiritual cleansing.  You see, the ogoh-ogoh are mythological beings, mostly demons.



My driver told me that the goal of the parade of ogoh-ogoh creatures symbolizes purification.

He said that in the Hindu tradition, there are three goals: human to human harmony, human to nature harmony, and human to God harmony.  The parade of all the demons is to showcase all the spiritual pollutants people have done through their activities when they have not been in harmony with each other, nature or God.



The spirits are bigger then life and are carried through the parade the a bamboo frame by 8 or 12 men.
They are made by the village artists.

The best part is the end as that's the cleansing time - and it reminded me of Burning Man and the burning of the temple.  That's because after the parade, the ogoh-ogoh sculptures are burnt to ashes as a symbol of self-purification.

Such a cool and interesting night made even more cool as I had no idea it was happening until I arrived in the country.

PS Sorry, my photos are a little crappy, but it was getting dark out and my iPhone isn't that fantastic at dusk.

Related: Burning Man: I never expected the Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment