Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Foie Gras in California

Foie gras from Mulvaney's in Sacramento
I didn’t get to partake in my decadent foie gras meal in San Francisco at Fifth Floor Restaurant like I planned. But I wasn't too disappointed. I have to admit a full five course meal of the stuff might have been overkill and a little gluttonous for my body to handle.

However, that’s not to say I didn’t get my fill of foie elsewhere…because you know, there was no way I was going to miss out on my last opportunity to have it in California.

After doing some research, I learned that Mulvaney’s in Sacramento was serving it as a small plate on their menu until the July 1 deadline – and they were serving it just the way I like it…. lightly sauted and served with bread and a little roasted pear on the side. Paired with a little sauternes and I was in heaven.
Yummy dessert from Mulvaney's
Plus, because I decided to eat at their cozy bar that night, I had the chance to talk to a couple other foie lovers who were doing the same thing I was and enjoying it for a final time in their home town. It was an evening filled with good food and good food conversation.

Naturally I had to stay a while and have dessert just because I didn't want the night to end.



A FOIE FAUX PAS

After enjoying my amazing meal at Mulvaney’s, I did have another foie encounter a few days later. This one was much less satisfying.  
Foie in a jar (far right)
I happened to be at the Conservatory at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay for a late lunch and noticed they had canard in a jar. Let me say that foie should never be in a jar. It was awful.

Word of advice, if you’re going to have a delicacy, have it made fresh. That way you won’t be disappointed.

Foie in a jar? What were they thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment