Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Weird Places to Sleep: Hezen Cave Hotel

In my last blog, I showed you a place where you could sleep in a tree. Not everyone likes heights, so I found this place where you could sleep in a cave.

The cave hotel I found is located in Cappadocia, Turkey -- and very cool looking. It only opened in May 2011 so it's brand new.

If you haven't heard of Cappadocia, you're not alone.  I had no idea it existed until I found this hotel either.  But now that know about it, I think I may have to go.

Cappadocia is famous for its rocky landcape. And while I thought finding a cave hotel would be unique, apparently it's not -- if you live in Turkey.  There are cave hotels everywhere in the region, but this one looks amazing. Believe me...you won't feel like you're living like Fred Flintstone.

The Herzen Cave Hotel overlooks the Ortahisar Castle and the city. It's this incredible combination of cave living with lavish Turkey comfort.  I'm telling you...this is your cave away from home!

There is something about the Herzen Cave Hotel that is almost magical.  From watching the sun go down over the castle from your terrace to walking through the ancient stone city, it's as if you've been transported to another time and place. Don't even get me started Turkish food or the market.


Cave church
 The area is also famous for hot air balloon rides, so if sleeping in a cave AND taking a hot air balloon ride are both on your bucket list, you can cross two things off at once. Bonus!

But what drew me in was the cave churches of the area. Filled with tunnels and brightly painted, some of the cave churches date back to the 10th century.  They are part of the Goreme Open Air Museum, and you can check out more about the cave churches on their website.

I admit, sleeping in a cave wasn't on my list of things to do, but now that I've seen this place, I'm tempted.

If sleeping in a cave while living in luxury is on your bucket list, then check out the Hezen Cave Hotel website.

FOLLOW MICHELLE PONTO ON FACEBOOK









.

No comments:

Post a Comment