Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vegas: One man's nightmare is another woman's dream



I have a friend who absolutely detests Vegas, but the strange thing is he’s never been there and refuses to go to see what’s it is like. I’ve told him you can find anything in Vegas. If you want great wine –it’s there. Great spas – they’ve got it. World famous chefs- they are there. Amazing entertainment – yup, they’ve got that too.

Instead he’s got this perception of what the place is like based on what he’s seen on television—and from movies. He assumes Vegas is completely artificial and cheesy.

So while going to Vegas would be a his holiday nightmare, I LOVE Vegas.

How could I not?

First of all, they’ve got the Vegas strip full of lights and extravagant hotels. Yeah, some of the stuff is tacky, but taste is subjective.
I think the designers were allowed to let their imagination go wild and create the hotel of their dreams. Sure, you can stay in a Travel Lodge or Super 8 if you wanted to have the same vacation you can have anywhere in the U.S., but why would you when you’ve got the Bellagio, Caesars and The Venetian?

Like many Vegas fans, I do have my favorite Vegas attractions.

I adore the luxurious sophistication of The Wynn, but the dancing fountains at the Bellagio stole my heart years ago. My favorite place to watch them is from the terrace of the Picasso Restaurant inside the hotel. It doesn’t matter whether I’m enjoying a leisurely lunch or a late dinner, I can watch them for hours.

In addition to the dancing fountains, the other Vegas-area landmark that I never tire of is the Grand Canyon.

Regardless of the season or time of day, it always takes my breath away. The colors are always changing and the rock formations are incredible. There is nothing artificial about it. It's real, rugged and beautiful.

If you haven’t seen it, you should. There’s a certain Zen quality to it. Remember, Vegas is the place of extremes – and the Grand Canyon is the extreme opposite of the strip.

It’s quiet, peaceful and somehow untouched by Sin City. It commands respect – and deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment