Monday, June 14, 2010

Humbled by the superhumans in California

I bow down to the fitness fiends in California. I mean, I’m a little nuts when it comes to working out and will go on a 50 mile bike ride, run 6 miles and then go dancing that night, but what I do is nothing compared to the people I meet here.
I swear, these people look like everyday individuals and then when you start talking to them you find out they are superhuman.

First there was the marketing director at News10. We get to talking and it turns out she just finished the 100 mile bike ride up the mountain in Tahoe over the weekend. Can you say "wow!!" My car has to go into overdrive going up that elevation. I can't imagine doing it on a bike.

Then I run into another girl who just finished the 178 mile Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay – yes, that’s right – I said it -- one-hundred-and-seventy-eight miles.

But that’s not all.

While having margueritas at Chevy’s, I learned about the Whitney Mountain hike. It sounds fabulous and it's now on my California "to-do" list. But get this...the couple I was with had done it not once, but four times.

"The first time Sarah got elevation sickness and couldn't get to the top," said the husband.

Elevation sickness? Hmmm...that's high. I may have to train a little for that one.

They have also done the Badwater Ultramarathon – which is 135 mile run across Death Valley in July. They told me if I do it, I should run along the white line on the road because it’s cooler.

So now I’m feeling a little inadequate with my measly 6 mile runs. I may just have to bring it up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment