Thursday, November 20, 2008

Girl About Town sweats buckets at the hottest yoga studio in Houston

A little bit of stretching, a little bit of deep breathing and a whole lot of sweating is what you'll be doing at YogaOne in Houston -- but believe me, you'll love it!

Located at 3030 Travis, YogaOne opened their doors the beginning of October, but they are already heating up Midtown with their state-of-the-art studio and expertly taught yoga classes.

"I go three to four times a week," said Grace Pangia, YogaOne member. "I was bored doing the treadmill and elliptical machine. I needed a new challenge."

So can yoga really challenge someone who already goes to the gym?

A NEW TYPE OF CHALLENGE

"I really love the Hot Hatha class," said Pangia. "I find it more challenging because you have to concentrate on the moves."

Hatha is one of the yoga classes taught at the studio. In the 90 minute class, the students go through 32 different poses that are designed to stretch out the body, improve strength and raise your heartrate.

But what makes this yoga sizzling hot is the heat they pump into the room. It's literally a balmy 105 degrees.

"The heat helps facilitate the stretch, and it cleanses your liver and your skin," said Nicole Haagenson, YogaOne Instructor.

Haagenson has been teaching Hatha yoga for six years, but she's only started teaching "Hot" Hatha, the studio's signature class.

"It's an excellent workout. It's comparable to running three miles," said Haagenson.

Okay...I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing. How can doing a few stretches in hot room give me the same workout as running?

So I took her up on the challenge and did a class.

GIRL ABOUT TOWN DISCOVERS HOW HOT IT REALLY IS

Guess what? Yoga is tough. By the end of the class I was tired...and I did hydrate through the whole thing and I'm not exactly a fitness rookie. I run the Memorial Park Loop a couple times a week and do the treadmill on off days. I was certain that I could breeze though the class.

I also didn't expect to sweat, but sweat I did. In fact, I was shocked at how much water poured out of my body. It's going to sound disgusting, but I was dripping.

Thankfully, this was totally acceptable because everyone else was just as soaking wet as I was.

"Someone told me that your karma soaks into your mat," said Roy, YogaOne member.

Well, I couldn't deny that something was soaking into my mat. And neither could I deny the good karma that was all around the studio.

Everyone at YogaOne was nice and couldn't stop telling me all the good things about the studio. Most of students were new to yoga, but even the ones that were there for the first time, said they were coming back.

"It's additive," said Grace. "I love coming here. The instructors really seem to care about you and take the time to help you."

Roy, another member, told me almost the exact same thing.

"Unlike some places I've been to, the instructors here treat you well," said Roy. "I recommend the Explorer's Club. They'll spend one-on-one time with you to help you get into the poses."

As for me, the Hot Yoga was definitely something I would try again. I slept really well that night and my body did feel more relaxed, so the stretching helped. Plus, they told me that once I do it a couple more times, I'll feel re-energized. You can't beat that.

So here's the scoop on Yoga one:

1) If you plan on doing the hot yoga, bring lots of water and a towel. You're going to need it.

2) Hot Hatha is suitable for people of all fitness levels, but if you don't like it, they do teach Ashtanga yoga (the yoga Madonna does), Vinyasa yoga, a slow flow stretch class and something they call the Explorers Club for those who want to perfect their moves.

3) On Sunday at 4:00 they teach a free Pranayama breathing class.

4) They also teach a belly dance class on Thursday night.

Oh...and they have an introductory special going on right now. Until the end of November, you can get 10 days of yoga for $10. Now that's one hot deal.

See you on the mat. Until then...ommmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment