Saturday, July 4, 2015

In and Out of Turkey in 24 hours



entrance to the Grand Bazar

You know what I learned last week? I can get a direct flight from Geneva to Istanbul for really cheap and it only takes couple of hours to get there. You know what that means? It’s Turkey time!!

I mentioned this amazing idea to two of my friends who had also never been to Istanbul and the quest was on.  The only issue was that because I was still on probation at work, I only could go for 24 hours. I would take an early morning Saturday flight and come back on Sunday.  But no worries…I could squeeze a lot in during that time.

 IT’S EUROPE…BUT NOT

While Turkey is in Europe, it’s not the Europe most of us know -- and when I say that, I'm thinking of France or Italy. There is no comparing it to Paris or London or Milan.  Istanbul has its own unique vibe happening.



First of all, while you can get the Euro there out of the bank machine, they don’t use it. They use their own currency (the lira). Secondly, it’s got old buildings like France, but the architectural style is different. The Islamic influence in the buildings, food and colors is still there - but at the same time, it didn't feel like Jeddah or Doha or any of the Middle Eastern cities I had visited.  It's got it's own unique mix, which is kind of cool.

And thirdly, while the rules may be Western, you won't see a lot on women wandering on their own – and you definitely won’t see women in the local bars. It was all men – except me and my girlfriend.

Our little trio.

 Oh...I have to mention this.  You really have to do a Turkish bath (or haman) when there.  I didn’t have time to partake in this, but my two friends who arrived 12 hours earlier than me, swear that it is the best experience ever.


TOURISM STILL RULES

But is it safe? I’m going to say “yes” to that, but only if you are not foolish. The tourist areas felt safe and places like the Grand Bazaar were crowded. Other tourist areas around the Blue Mosque also felt fairly safe – during the daylight hours anyway.



Where things get sketchy is at night if you venture outside the tourist zone and hang out with the locals --   but NYC and parts of Memphis, Miami and London are the same. Every big city has it's safe and not so safe areas.

Again as a woman, you will stand out and be stared at. No one approached us or bothered us, but we turned heads. Keep in mind that I am blonde and tall though so I'm not exactly going to blend.

My girlfriend had to leave early to catch a plane, so on Saturday night, it was just me and my guy friend venturing out on the town. Our plans were to have dinner at a local place, enjoy the food and relax even if was the only woman in the restaurant ---  the only woman anywhere.




 But the food was good and plentiful. And no one bothered harassed us or gave us a hard time. The only issue we had was the taxi driver at night did not take us directly back to the hotel, but on a round-about route that cost triple the money.

So would I go again? Sure...and if I was with a guy friend, I would venture into the local area after sunset again.  But...if I was by myself, I would play it safe and stay in the tourist area where the other Westerners were to try to blend a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment